Stolen and recovered AJS Firefox. Advice please...

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Mainwaring, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Mainwaring

Mainwaring New Member

Long story short bike got stolen before Christmas, got recovered (don’t start me on having to pay recovery fees omg), it’s trashed. It was only a crappy Chinese scooter but it was in really good Nick and ran well, now it’s been sprayed black, had box removed and broken panels and above all else the wiring has been messed with (a lot).

So... found ignition had black and red leads cut,i carefully rejoined and plugged back in. There is an empty plug with black and red leads piggy backed which I assume to be steering lock, have left this as is. Still no power to anything, unable to kickstart.

I’m currently charging the battery as I suspect the idiots have drained it but other than that has anyone got any tips?

Might sound stupid but I’m surprised that there was a plug for what I suspect to be steering lock, assumed that would be mechanical but can find no evidence of where it might have been!

thanks

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Always thought steering locks mechanical/self,but what you've just described reminds me of the cut out switch if my sidestand was down on the TGB I used to use for work if that's any help,personally I would trace every aspect of that plug from start to finish to see if it is integral to any other system on your 'ped.

Mainwaring likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I've never seen a steering lock that isn't mechanical....
    Join the 2 wires together with a paperclip or whatever and see if it fires up

4. Mainwaring

Mainwaring New Member

Ok some updates...

battery is knackered, when connected to workshop jump pack I can start it if I remove the added piggy back thing, so she fires and runs which is good.

however, the key makes no difference! I can start it with or without the key with a kick start and have to drop the kickstand to stop it. Any one got any ideas?!

I’ll try and upload a picture of the now empty plug, it clearly has nothing to do with the steering lock!

edit.. if I turn the key I get dials working on dash together with horn and lights. However no electric start.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm piaggio scooters are a bit like that. If you disconnect the ignition on them they start and won't turn off. Have you a picture of the ignition switch?

6. Mainwaring

Mainwaring New Member

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Looks like some wires are missing. You have a 5 pin? Plug with only 2 wires?

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring New Member

No I think the pictures a bit misleading. The only anomaly (that I can see)is this plug that isn’t plugged into anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ox3etfb5lnysij/IMG_4313.jpg?dl=0

the thieves (I assume to hot wire it) plugged into this plug another which has a piggy back (visible in this photo)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u9xpmyxjeve38ji/IMG_4269.jpg?dl=0

If I leave this plugged in it won’t start, if I remove it starts without key but then won’t turn off.

I can only assume something should be plugged in there which corrects all the above but haven’t got a clue what! I fear to trace the cable through the cable loom would require it all being removed .

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah I think it should go to the ignition switch I think. Like I said with piaggio scoots and Honda cubs if you unplug the ignition on those, it will start, then plug back in and it stops...