AJS Firefox

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Del Sky, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    s-l1600.jpg Currently bidding on an AJS Firefox LJ50QT-M......50 cc 2 stroke '64 plate......anyone got/had one ?....would appreciate any for and against comments....Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  2. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    Hi.ive been off this forum for a good few years so searched about and looks like it's a Chinese engine..I don't know if Chinese 2 stroke engines are any good but my last ped was a Chinese 4 stroke and it broke while I fixed it...I ain't joking..bits would fall off and ide repair it only to find stuff that worked before didn't after..constant pain..as for tuning and improvements to get anywhere reliably ide have to say from my Chinese experience you would be better off with beef noodles and fried rice and buy a euro or jap ped.it may have over the years of use had all its reliability issues sorted (if any) so could be a fair buy,be prepared for using a spanner or two regularly..I may be wrong and Chinese peds may have improved..good luck iether way

Del Sky likes this.
  3. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that, I gotta chinese four stroke thing at the moment....a Boation 50 cc, 2011 model, which seems ok, but is hardly run in yet....just want summat to "tinker with" as me shed is empty......will see how much it fetches.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

From my opinion
    (worked as a Head mechanic at a dealership)
    The Chinese motors are a tad more "underdeveloped" than the "jap" or "European" motors, although the final product seems to be more robust in a way.
    For example, a minerelli motor will rust the exhaust nuts after 6 months, but a chink copy (yours) won't, however the nuts may come loose. Etc etc

5. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks, it's a reasonable price at the moment, but auction still got 8 days to go......will see what happens.....in desperate need to get me spanners out again, and this might just do......

hairyjim likes this.
  6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Be careful not to bid to much, if it get's to high say £ 50 ish pull out !

Del Sky likes this.
  7. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    A "Chinese Thing"
    Thanks for that, It's at £30 plus at the moment.....could be much more if someone has put a maximum bid in.....that, and the cost of transporting it, (£70) has probably ruled it out.....

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring New Member

I’ve got a Firefox and it was a great little bike till it got nicked and thrashed. (Now recovered and trying to sort it.)

it’s Chinese so don’t expect amazing quality but for what it is it’s great.

Del Sky likes this.