Gilera 125 year 2000 2 stroke

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Biggiesmalls, May 8, 2019.

1. Biggiesmalls

Biggiesmalls New Member

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Looks like a great scooter. These runners are very sort after so good ones are commanding top prices. I was looking for a runner 172/180 for some time but now realise I can't afford a nice one, and perversely the longer I leave it the less I can afford it as they seem to be increasing in value. Some folk grumble about the build quality of Italian bikes but I had a Nexus 500 for years and it was probably the most reliable bike I ever owned, and I've had quite a few. If it's been well maintained and serviced with history to back that up, I think it would be a top notch scooter to own. I don't think age should affect it, my Nexus liked to be used every day. If I left if unused for a few weeks it just didn't feel as smooth as if I used most days. I'd try and get them to knock a little bit off the price though.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The biggest problem with these and other 125's of this era is the area around the frame section housing the silent block. It rots badly.
    I had to re-frame a 180 due to this.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    You don't have to re frame it, just re-make the frame section with steel box section ! I've done two typhoons now with no problems at all. You will have problems sourcing new spares as they are unobtainable now. Let me have your old frames, I'll sort them out !