Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsMain Scooter TopicsGeneral Scooter Discussion

Gilera 125 year 2000 2 stroke

Discussion in General Scooter Discussion started by Biggiesmalls, 8 May 2019
Biggiesmalls#1
milo2025#2
Looks like a great scooter. These runners are very sort after so good ones are commanding top prices. I was looking for a runner 172/180 for some time but now realise I can't afford a nice one, and perversely the longer I leave it the less I can afford it as they seem to be increasing in value. Some folk grumble about the build quality of Italian bikes but I had a Nexus 500 for years and it was probably the most reliable bike I ever owned, and I've had quite a few. If it's been well maintained and serviced with history to back that up, I think it would be a top notch scooter to own. I don't think age should affect it, my Nexus liked to be used every day. If I left if unused for a few weeks it just didn't feel as smooth as if I used most days. I'd try and get them to knock a little bit off the price though.
Stevep#3
The biggest problem with these and other 125's of this era is the area around the frame section housing the silent block. It rots badly.
I had to re-frame a 180 due to this.
MARSH#4
You don't have to re frame it, just re-make the frame section with steel box section ! I've done two typhoons now with no problems at all. You will have problems sourcing new spares as they are unobtainable now. Let me have your old frames, I'll sort them out !

More threads in General Scooter Discussion

Which 300cc scooter to buy?24 replies19 May 2019
GIlera 180 Reed Valve5 replies17 May 2019
Peugeot Vclic 50cc starting problem, kick start, electric start.7 replies13 May 2019
Scooter won’t start!147 replies13 May 2019
Tuning Dellorto 17.5mm?8 replies9 May 2019
Got A1 driving license, which scooter should I buy?6 replies5 May 2019
Help! Scooter newbie please give some parking advice.5 replies3 May 2019
Piaggio x9 evolution 125 part??? Help8 replies3 May 2019
Speedfight 4 electrical help needed12 replies2 May 2019
Di Blasi R7E Frame2 replies2 May 2019