Speedfight 4 electrical help needed

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by White05, Apr 29, 2019.

1. White05

White05 New Member

Hi I have a peougot speedfight 4 t2 ac it's developed a couple of electrical faults. It started out with the indicators flashing fast then I lost the brake light it had blown the brake light bulb and the 5amp fuse I replace them and went to start the bike when I press the brake front or back the dash display turns off then comes back on and the electric start won't work so I tried to kick start it and nothing it won't start but if I kick start it without the breaks pressed it starts straight up and runs until I press the brake it dies. I have checked the brake switches and they are working correctly has anyone had a similar problem

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Must be the brake light shorting out.
    That's why it blew the fuse too.
    Take the bulb out and check the 2 little prongs are not touching each other or something

3. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Only electrical problem I had with my speedfight was a few days ago when the front offside indicator casing shot out - easy fix but wouldn't advise tearing over speedhumps as the outcome could have been far worse (you can fix a bike but not always the rider etc). Sounds like you have a proper gremlin in your machine. I'm inclined to think water has ingressed into your electrics and short circuited your fuse box. My pug hates rain - the underseat storage area acts more like a water storage area and water gets into places I didn't even know existed. I heard bad stories about some italian bike quality but I think these older pugs are really badly assembled when they leave the factory gates somewhere in France. Too much red wine for lunch perhaps. However mines an 01 plate. For all I know they could have raised their game since then. Anyway you might need to replace your fuse box.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  4. milo2025

Just saw scubas reply. Yeah that sounds more feasible to me.

scubabiker likes this.
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The newer pugs are Chinese.....
    Could well be water too, but I think it's the bulb prongy things...

milo2025 likes this.
  6. milo2025

I never knew that but yeah a place called Jinan so google says, with a population of nearly 9 million so roughly the same as London (never even heard of it but then geography never was my strong point at school, hated the pervy teacher) and disconcertingly close to North Korea. That's my bit of useless info for today. So yes probably far better screwed together by the ultra efficient Chinese and their bots :D

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    scubabiker likes this.
  7. White05

White05 New Member

Thanks guys I'm starting to think it's water in the main loom I have disconnect the rear light cluster and head lights and still have the same problem I have 8.7 volts on the brake and switch circuit then 12.5v when I press the the brakes looks like it's shorting in the main loom

8. White05

White05 New Member

Just a little update the loom is full of water nearly every multi crimp block is badly corroded I have been trying to find a new one online the part number is 2003008500 but nothing is coming up does anyone know who make the loom or the bikes for peougot now

9. milo2025

10. White05

White05 New Member

Thanks milo2025

11. milo2025

No worries. The official parts number now is PE788522 but I'd go for ebay. Just had a quick look and can find ones for the speedfight 3 but that should be compatible with the speedfight 4, you might want to double check that with Peugeot though. The pug dealer where I live (Cambridge) are very helpful but too expensive so I take mine to an independent garage, and they never seem to have problem ordering parts if they don't have them on the shelf in stock, and usually arrive a couple of days after. I'm old school so I prefer talking to someone rather than buying online!

scubabiker likes this.
  12. White05

White05 New Member

Thanks milo I stripped the loom off today and the loom under the petrol tank was full of water I had to replace 4 cables the power crim block and the earth crimp from single to multi core I have put it back on the bike and replaced the battery it's now working perfectly

milo2025 likes this.
  13. milo2025

Nice one and no worries. Full of water under the petrol tank? These bikes are crazy when it comes to water ingestion. I think on mine water sometimes gets inside the petrol tank too. Although my engine is aircooled. Combined with the noisy pipe it makes a bleeding racket when I start it up from cold in the morning so not good for neighbourly relations. Not much I can do about that.

Last edited: May 2, 2019