Scooter won’t start!

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GreenRanger, Apr 28, 2019.

1. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I have a 2001 aprilia mojito custom 50 that won’t start.

I have no idea how to get to the battery or spark plug or carb to check those out or how to even check them.

Are there any step by step instructions or videos (this would REALLY help)?

I haven’t used it for a few days so only thing I can think of.

It was raining a tiny bit yesterday when I tried to start it but tbh I don’t think that’s the issue as it was under a bike cover...

Also, the oil light came on when it was trying to start but I know for sure it has enough oil as I topped it up plus I can see the oil is full to the top of the oil tank!

I’m trying to stay it with kick start but it’s really hard even not so in this bike as the kick start is really small and doesn’t stick out a lot.

Also, now, when I try to start it using the electric start it makes what sounds like a beeping sound?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Sounds like your electrics might be knackered mate. If it's beeping at you it sounds like an electric fault rather then a mechanical issue :confused:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  3. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

It’s not that as I just charged the battery and it is working just fine...

4. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Looks like I’m going to have to get under the seat and check the spark plugs and then maybe the carb...

5. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Yeah definitely make sure the plug is sparking for real (you should only have one) and maybe give the carb a good old clean! Any probs give me a shout - me and the mrs are in London this week.

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It's the same engine as a Suzuki katana if I recall.
    If you don't know where your spark plug is or what it looks like it is maybe best to get some help.
    Don't mean to crush your abilities or anything but you seem to post a lot of really stupid questions.
    I guess too many questions is better than guessing and screwing things up.

milo2025 likes this.
  7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

A visit to Halfords for a manual might be in order

8. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

What manual?

9. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Don’t call my questions stupid when they are legitimate I’m new to this so you can go away with that attitude!

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I've answered all of your questions so far.. Just stating the facts...
    Steve means a workshop manual. Or Haynes manual.
    You might find one on carlsalter.com actually.
    Like I said before, it's the same as a katana I think, so you can use that to find info.

11. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I’ve found the manual online but using YouTube vids has helped me. Unscrewing the scooter to get to the components seems easy enough.

I just need to know from someone in here that has worked in a mojito, do I defiantly need a socket wrench to remove the spark plug so I can test whether it works and also see whether fuel is getting to it as I don’t think I have one but I do have loads of scre drivers and spanner and pliers etc...?

If I do need one what size I’m thinking 5/8 aka 16mm but not sure?

Will this work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07P6KHS5J/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2GIOJO8YEL9ZB&psc=1

BTW, I’ve checked the battery and it fully charged within 30 mins or so so it wasn’t the battery as I thought. So that can be eliminated.

Next is tk check the spark I really hope it just needs a new spark plug.

If that’s ok and fuel is getting to it then I will check the cdi.

Don’t know how to check the carb so need to look I got that if nessesary.

Ok so I’ve checked my tool box and I’ve got a 14mm draper spark plug wrench but it’s fixed if that makes sense?

And another 21mm part with no wrench just the attachment.

I don’t have the wrench itself just a fixed wrench that doesn’t move back and forth if you follow and another attachment.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It will be 16mm I think.

13. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I managed to buy the cheap
    Thanks that’s what I’m thinking

Btw to anyone, the oil light comes on when I try to start the bike using the electric start is that normal like it’s what is supposed to happen? Because there’s plenty of oil intact it’s filled up all the way to the top.

The petrol has just started showing on the red line meaning it’s just become low so there’s petrol and I can also smell it when I try to start the bike.

I don’t see how it could be working just fine then all of a sudden it won’t start!

I’ve tried both kill switch positions but still nothing!

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah oil light comes on then turns off when it's running.
    Does it have a side stand?

15. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Yes it does. Why?

16. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

???

17. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Scubas referring to the side stand switch

18. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

What’s a side stand switch?

19. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

???

20. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I don’t think there’s a switch in the side stand will have a look but what am I looking for? A black wire literally connected to the stand or something? What’s this for?