Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsMain Scooter TopicsGeneral Scooter Discussion

Ask for advise Which brand is suitable for me?

Discussion in General Scooter Discussion started by clirous, 7 Dec 2017
clirous#1
hi guys. Im international student, just been here for 2 months . Im looking for a scooter , maybe I'll get a delivery part timejob afterward and use it to get to school everyday. So i want a brand scooter which is endurable and affordable. I dont mind the appearance. Can you guys recommend me whch one
Thanks :)
clirous#2
IT could be new or 2nd. 50 or 125cc
And anyone can give me recommendation where to buy it too please! Im too new here, in Cardiff
MARSH#3
Yamaha vity ! Any SYM or Kymco, Honda model.
revvingit#4
- Buy Japanese - reliable bikes rather than crap that will fall apart.

- Buy a 125 - you'll actually be able to get away a little bit from traffic and use faster roads without shitting yourself every minute as lorries etc overtake you.
clirous#5
Yamaha vity ! Any SYM or Kymco, Honda model.
thank you! Do u know well about their prices? cus im still a student, do u think I should buy a 2nd hand one?
- Buy Japanese - reliable bikes rather than crap that will fall apart.

- Buy a 125 - you'll actually be able to get away a little bit from traffic and use faster roads without shitting yourself every minute as lorries etc overtake you.
thank for ur rcmdation. japanese moped but which brand particular? or its own name is japanese? howmuch would it be about, do u know?
Sam phantom#6
Honda
Suzuki
Yamaha
Piaggio
Gilrea
Malaguti

All are well made and will last,the Chinese/taiwanese bikes are cheap but you get what you pay for tbh
MARSH#7
If you buy second hand be sure to get low milage with good service history. SYM /Kymco are worth looking at, Taiwanese quality that will last . SYM was actually was in bed and helped along by HONDA years ago, Kymco make scooters/engines for BMW and Kawasaki !!
daveNRGdt#8
any 2 stroke Piaggio, Gilera or yamaha

All are reliable and parts and panels are very easy to come by new and used.
MARSH#9
I would argue with the Piaggio /Gilera statement, many parts are no longer available new so second hand parts may be as bad as the one already have !
Sam phantom#10
I would argue with the Piaggio /Gilera statement, many parts are no longer available new so second hand parts may be as bad as the one already have !
I’m recommissioning a gilrea at the moment and this is true
daveNRGdt#11
I would argue with the Piaggio /Gilera statement, many parts are no longer available new so second hand parts may be as bad as the one already have !
I didn't realize this was the case as I've managed to get a pile of parts for a battered NRG I bought recently with no trouble at all and there sempt to be a big selection of aftermarket parts too.
clirous#12
thank u guys, i just hope i wont get any problem with the 2ndhand, im looking at gumtree but so confused abt which seller to trust.
kymco seems fine.
Alpha#13
Hi Clirous, I agree with the above but pick a scooter that fits your body. For example the Vity is excellent for the shorter rider, whereas A Cygnus or PES is better for taller riders. all easily adapted to take pizza boxes. Small wheels are great for shorter commutes and ease through traffic, whereas larger wheels like the SH or a number of the Kymco give better stability on longer rides.
If your a decent mechanic, the choice is yours, but if not then steer clear of gileras, as most garages do not like them as they tend to get modified, complicating faults if you need assistance.
Which ever bike make sure you lock it up with decent locks, and forget the steering lock. They break easily and are expensive to repair should you get the bike back.
scubabiker#14
Ive always found most piaggios to be tiny, being a little guy myself I feel like zips are almost monkey bike size...
clirous#15
thank u guys very much for the advises, i really appreciate it.
when talking about the size to fit me, tbh that problem is not something hard for me, cus in my hometown, moped really popular, and I drove all types of them from short like mio to tall ones like SH, dylan.
So I only mind about the endurance for the first ( which could help me in the job and for a long time running) and the price, cus I still have to ask for money from my parents.

Im planning to get one about 5-700 pounds, but I know that I'll get what for howmuch I pay for. So I want to ask u guys, for that budget, is there any moped that available fit my purpose?

More threads in General Scooter Discussion

Do you know how to remove barrels from the ignition?8 replies21 Dec 2017
Idol screw Peugeot elyseo0 replies17 Dec 2017
Honda vision 50 not starting!!13 replies13 Dec 2017
Headlight LED conversions and UK Law?4 replies10 Dec 2017
Lost keys4 replies10 Dec 2017
Running fine but no lights10 replies9 Dec 2017
Speedfight 3 50R Display is possessed Need Help!!2 replies8 Dec 2017
first mot2 replies30 Nov 2017
Help me out thanks.5 replies29 Nov 2017
cold weather3 replies27 Nov 2017