Honda vision 50 not starting!!

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Samhentaylor11, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Samhentaylor11

Samhentaylor11 New Member

Hi all, thanks in advance, I have a honda vision ne50 and over the weekend I rode it and then I left it out over night and it rained and snowed and the day after the next day, I went to start it and it wouldn't start, I have spark, compression and fuel, I have cleaned the carburettor and done a resistance check on the choke which was alright and choke isn't stuck either. Any suggestions on how to go about solving this?
    Thanks

2. daveNRGdt

daveNRGdt Member

Check your air filter sponge to see if it's soaked in water

3. Samhentaylor11

Yeah I've checked that and not even carb cleaner straight into carb while trying to start didn't start it.

4. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Rides:
    Got 40 bikes to play
    I don't suppose you filled up with petrol just before putting the ped to bed? I have had two instances recently where guys have filled with unleaded but there was a large amount of derv in the pipes which translates to not starting through contaminated fuel.
    Stick you finger in the fuel tank. Derv has a distinct taste, and feels oily.

5. Samhentaylor11

I thought fuel may be the cause so I emptied my tank and carburettor of all fuel and put fresh fuel in and still no difference? Any other suggestions??

6. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Rides:
    Got 40 bikes to play
    If it was contamination take out the plug and burn the end with a lighter before cleaning and putting back, but before you do, see what colour the spark is. Yellow or blue? If the battery is not fully charged or is dying it will turn over but the spark is yellow which is not so powerful.

7. Samhentaylor11

Will try lighting the plug and the spark is a strong blue which seems okay, so I'll have a look at the plug again tonight. Thanks

8. Samhentaylor11

I cleaned the spark by using a lighter although didn't do anything so don't know if that is a problem, and a wire brush and this seemed to have no effect, any other ideas as I'm pretty much out :/

9. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Rides:
    Got 40 bikes to play
    Spark, plus fuel ,plus air, plus compression should equal firing, unless the timing is out, and as it should be transistor -battery driven and i can't see that from your description.

You sure that fuel is getting through? if you turn it over a number of times is the plug getting wet?

Although you said you tried carb cleaner direct, which will normally kick anything into life. I take it you tried that without the air filter connected!

All the vision 50s i have played with are fuel injected, where you can remove the fuel injector and see its spray pattern,
    it should pump as you turn the engine over. If it isn't then you have found your problem.

10. Samhentaylor11

Thanks for reply, I think it is transistor-battery driven and yeah it should go which is annoying me aswell, when I looked at spark plug after turning engine over it was very wet, maybe too wet. Yeah air filter was disconnected however it doesn't usually matter as it should atleast fire a little bit but nothing, it is an 86 model and therefore has carburettor and if I take out plug and out hand over the hole, might hand has some sort of fuel on it after. I haven't checked timing however I doubt it can go that far out just over night so I am hesitant to check.

11. daveNRGdt

daveNRGdt Member

What psi compression has it got?

12. Samhentaylor11

Not sure as I don't have a compression checked, I ordered one so should arrive soon, however I did the finger over the hole which pushes off finger however I have just found that one of the piston rings has snapped so it may be that it is not quite getting enough compression, I have a spare so will check tomorrow!

13. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Rides:
    Got 40 bikes to play
    The snapped piston ring will be the cause then. Check the bore carefully to see if it has done any damage , otherwise you will be wasting your time just replacing it.

14. Samhentaylor11

Yeah the cylinder looks okay but will replace it just to be sure, thanks for all the replies