Lost keys

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Sarah39, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Sarah39

Sarah39 New Member

Hi all
    I feel a bit sheepish posting this but here goes.....
    I own a 2011 Yamaha Vity 125cc scooter and recently I have lost the keys for it. I have turned everything upside down at home looking for them, and have been to police stations/bus stations etc.
    I am aware I will need a whole new ignition barrel as the key code is on the key itself but the main issue is the recovery aspect. The recovery companies will struggle as the centre stand is locked so it can’t be moved. I have no idea of what to do next really and wondered if anyone has any advice?
    I’m aware it’s down to my own stupidity I’m in this situation but would be grateful for any constructive help.
    Thanks

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Any descent recovery company will collect it with no major problem, lift the front and "wheel barrow" in onto the truck !

3. Sarah39

Sarah39 New Member

Thanks. Looks like it’s going to be a big job. Currently trying to get it to a garage who will actually help me sort it out. Needs to be Yamaha dealer. It’s going to be a right faff with the bike being taken to bits. Hopefully it won’t cost too much and be a financial write off. If anyone has a similar tale and has actually had it sorted out I’d be keen to hear it.
    Morals of the story, a) don’t lose keys, b) write down key code as the manual doesn’t tell you it’s on the actual key itself......

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Ive popped open a few seats and stuff without the keys at work, normally it involves a long thin screwdriver or a slimjim type tool.

5. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Rides:
    Got 40 bikes to play
    Replacing the lock unit is not that difficult. You need to strip away the front covers and leg shield, drill out the bolts with a long drill bit as they are anti removal, and retap the holes afterwards.
    After removing, it is possible to remove the cylinder from the lock, and with a file utilise another Yamaha key. You will have to disable the cover plate though as if it is slid over you wont open it. Yamaha dealers will insist on replacing the whole unit at about £150 and will charge about 3 -4 hours labour.
    The seat can be popped easily with the front cover removed as you just need to tug the cable.
    FYI the key code does not help much as they all have the plastic bit at the top which has tiny magnets in it and if they do not match you cant open the cover plate.
    If you get stuck just PM me. I certainly have spare keys, possibly spare locks, and have done this a few times.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.