Headlight LED conversions and UK Law?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by DanielCoffey, Nov 29, 2017.

1. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey New Member

Rides:
    Scomadi TL125
    Could someone who is informed please let me know what is the current legal situation regarding LED headlight conversions on scooters?

I am about to receive a Scomadi TL125 which has the usual halogen running light and main beam and I am interested in converting the whole lamp assembly to LED but want to keep on the right side of the law and my insurers.

2. daveNRGdt

daveNRGdt Member

I know with cars for hid's and i think LEDs to be legal they need to be CE marked and be in a self leveling housing with washer jets so just fitting leds into a headlight housing designed for halogens I'd imagine it to be illegal. However In my car and moped I've fitted LED bulbs for the main beam and keep the halogens for dipped beam.

3. DanielCoffey

DanielCoffey New Member

Rides:
    Scomadi TL125
    Thanks - that is more or less what I suspected. There are some direct Halogen-to-led kits for some cars and motorbikes but they have a cooling arrangement sticking out the back of the "bulb". I doubt they are appropriate for our scooters though and nary a CE mark in sight either.

4. daveNRGdt

daveNRGdt Member

Yea those ones with the fans are the ones I use for main beam

[​IMG]

5. Alpha

Alpha New Member

Rides:
    Got 40 bikes to play
    The legal answer is yes they have to be CE marked.
    The realistic answer is that I don't know a copper who would object as long as they do not dazzle.
    The important thing is to make sure they are fitted correctly with the led pointing up.
    Why would they turn a blind eye? Cos the originals are useless and it is better to be seen than hit!
    A large number of bikes and cars are being fitted with LEDs as standard now, and if in doubt with the insurance just ask them. As it is non performance they should be happy to add it to modifications for no extra charge.