Suzuki ay50 overheating

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Bryan, May 21, 2017.

1. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Ok seems you have found a problem.
    Can I just go back a bit and ask did you check the thermostat as Merlin suggested?
    I have read and re read the posts so far and can't see any indication you have checked or replaced it?
    Only asking as replacing heads/barrels won't help if the thermostat is faulty.
    If you still have problems after replacing the reeds check the auto choke if it still has one.

2. Bryan

Bryan Member

Yeah bought a whole new water pump which came with a new thermostat

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Ok but just as a matter of interest did you check the old thermostat?
    That may have been your problem in the first place.

4. Bryan

Bryan Member

Yeah when I took the old thermostat out it was in 2 bits which may have been the problem from the start. So now it has new thermostat,water pump,barrel,piston,head and gasket and the reeds which will come Wednesday

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Shame you had to spend extra on all the bits for the sake of a thermostat.
    Should be excellent now though.
    If it still doesn't run properly and before spending more money as I said check the auto choke.

6. Bryan

Bryan Member

Just a bit of an update put a new set of reeds in and after replacing the head bike seems to be sorted running better than it has since he got it thanks for all the help

7. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    awesome news Bryan make sure he takes it a little easy on that new top end no flat out hooning just let it feel an full open throttle every so often to help seat those rings and cylinder walls . i would also say you derseve a quick blast round the block on it to all the hard work you put into the rebuild and setup , mechs should always get to run the machine after they tinkered it ;)

8. Bryan

Bryan Member

Yeah I had a blast on it. Still got plenty to do just started a restoration on a suzuki gp125