Bad oil pump GY6?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Brie, May 24, 2017.

1. Brie

Brie New Member

Hi!

How do you now that the oil pump is bad in a GY6 50cc motor? I have a ticking sound that I can hear from the crankcase and since there is no play in the bearings I suspect the oilpump (valves are also adjusted properly)

Many thanks!

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Take the rocker box cover off and run the engine, if it pumps/squirt's oil out it's working. The oil pump drive is plastic! Cam chain?

3. Brie

Brie New Member

Thanks!

Took some video of the motor when running. Am I only silly or is there a strange noise coming from the engine?

4. Brie

Brie New Member

There is no ticking when the engine is cold, just when it has warmed up. The valve are set to intake 0.003 and exhaust 0.004

5. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    Did you check the cam chain tension was ok when you checked the valve clearances? A knackered/ loose tensioner will let the chain slap about causing a similar noise. More noticeable when the engine is cold i find

6. Brie

Brie New Member

How do you check the cam tensions and if the cam tensioner is bad and needs to be replaced?

7. 2many2strokes

Rides:
    zzr1400
    Probably easiest to pull the rocker off and feel how much slack is on the cam chain. If there is a fair bit of slack i would be tempted to change it, less than £10 on ebay. They are non adjustable and use a spring to keep the chain tight.

But before you start pulling the engine apart, have you ruled everything else out as the source of the noise? Stator, fan shroud variator etc.

Also how many miles has it done?

8. Brie

Brie New Member

Thanks for your replies.

I have checked everything as you mention. Took the fan cover and fly wheel off and nothing looks wrong. Also there is no play in the crankshaft so I doubt it is the bearings. The variator is also in good condition since I installed a Polini variator about 200 miles back. Could it still be something with the stator and or flywheel you think?

The bike has about 5500 miles on it.

Also the sounds goes with the throttle so if I release the throttle the sounds gets less aswell.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  9. 2many2strokes

Rides:
    zzr1400
    checked that the variator is still tight?

10. Brie

Brie New Member

Yes, the variator is still tight.

Note that the ticking is coming once the engine has warmed up properly. You can hear it very good in the second video that I posted. This drives me nuts. Maybe I am too sensitive about engine sounds? The scooter runs great.