really really badly need help please.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by sut, Dec 23, 2013.

1. sut

sut Member

i am unable to form a tight seal around the inlet and force fuel into it, so what i have done is filled the pipe going into the the inlet with fuel and reconnected it to the carb. should this work as the bike still wont start.

i have added a photo of the pipe i have filled and circled it in red as i assume this is the inlet

Attached Files:

2. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    No, this will not work, you will need the fuel in the float bowl for it to start.

3. sut

sut Member

ok so i need to force it in, now i need to find something i can use to do that lol,
    at least i am using the correct place as i wasn't sure but as you have not commented at least i got something right.

4. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    You shouldn't need to force it in, gravity ought to do. If the bowl is empty, the valve should be open and fuel should flow in and fill it up without too much trouble.

5. sut

sut Member

just got new piping and syringe so going to try now, wish me luck. how much fuel should the carb take?

6. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Carb will decide for you how much fuel it will take. When it has got enough, the float will rise, close the needle, no more will go in.

7. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    PS Good luck!

8. sut

sut Member

ok guys i have managed to inject 10ml of petrol direct into the carb as still the bike wont start, the fuel has gone into the carb and is not leaking out or at least i cant see it coming out anywhere at all. again i have uploaded a photo of what i have done in case you can see something i am doing wrong,

i injected 5ml then removed the pipe and syringe and attempted to start it with no luck.

i then injected another 5ml and this time left the pipe and syringe so it should keep and air tight seal and still it wouldn't start,

9. sut

sut Member

ok guys, i cannot start the bike. i have just removed the spark plug and i can not see a spark at all, ( understand here the rac man came out last night and told me it was sparking )
    i can not see a spark at all.
    i have talked with a mech who will give me advice over the phone but wont come out he has said that it more than likely that the ignition amplifier module has gone.
    do any of you know where this is and what it looks like on my bike?

10. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    any luck yet? hope you get it sorted mate!

11. sut

sut Member

none at all. being told from another thread that the ignition coil may be dead, i am so pixxed if this is the case as i could have brought the this morning first thing and would be up and running now but the rac man told me last night it was sparking,

12. KyleH

KyleH Member

Rides:
    Aerox 11 Plate
    Put a new spark plug in, will eliminate the chance of it being that, put the cap on and touch against something metal (in the dark) and try to see if it is sparking, if not there's your problem.

Try unscrewing the cap from the HT lead and make sure the wire inside is good, cut a little back and poke a hole in the middle of the wires (just make a gap for the cap to go dont damage the wires) and screw in tightly.

For the coil get an amp meter on it and see if your getting 12v to it.
    Good luck & merry christmas

13. sut

sut Member

tried most of the above, not getting a spark that i can see, i have no access to a amp meter to test,

14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Does this bike have a vacuum fuel tap?

There may be a second pipe coming from the fuel tap that goes to the inlet manifold of the engine (between the carb and the engine block). This pipe open the fuel line if vacuum is applied, so If there is one, remove it from the engine and try sucking on it to see if it opens the fuel tap. If not, then the pipe may be blocked or the fuel tap may be faulty.

All of the above assumes that there is fuel in the tank, obviously. I have to say this, as a lot of people overlook the obvious and start stripping things down before checking that there is fuel in the tank.

If you have a small funnel, attach it to the fuel pipe and try putting some fuel into the funnel, bypassing the fuel tap. If it starts, then the fuel tap or vacuum line is faulty.

15. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    For god's sake put me out of my misery and tell me you sorted it in time!
    And Merry Christmas guys & Gemma!

16. sut

sut Member

no sorry to say i never, so i had to buy him a ps4 as well to make up for it, but thank you for all your help and thank you gemma, i hope you guys had a great christmas,

17. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    If you didn't earth the spark plug cap properly when you tested for a spark, you may have blown the CDI unit and that's what the mechanic referred to when he said the 'Amplifier unit'. This unit takes the signal from the stator coil and amplifies the voltage to enough to create a spark through the ignition coil.

OK, time for a really 'old school' test method, to check the coil out. This method doesn't need an amp meter - it's crude, but works in an emergency when you have no tools such as a multimeter.

Remove the wire from the CDI unit to the coil +ve contact, take a 12v wire from the battery +ve to the coil +ve contact and earth the spark plug body to the frame. The coil is already earthed to the frame, usually by a green wire. This 12v feed energises the coil and what you do next is remove the 12v feed and see if a spark happens at the plug.

As you remove the 12v feed from the coil and the voltage collapses, the spark plug should spark. If it does, the ignition coil and spark plug are OK. Try this several times by putting on and taking off the 12v feed and you should see a reliable spark.

From there, we work backwards, through the CDI unit to the stator coil.

18. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Aw dude - has he any idea of the hassle you've been through? We know know that it's just a stupid fuel issue unique to that machine. He'll get his wheels! I'm so sorry I sent you off on the wrong track - but I had no idea Italians could be so daft. I should have known ! . Circulating fuel system. DOh! You have my vote for Dad of the year. It will all come good when you get a competent DNA expert on the cse.
    In the mean time- go kick some Alien butt on two player with you're fella.

19. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Don't worry, Sut - one way or another we WILL diagnose what's wrong with the bike.

20. sut

sut Member

no not sorted yet, i am just ringing round now to try and get a ignition coil and some other parts. shops are still closed though as are the garages.