really really badly need help please.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by sut, Dec 23, 2013.

1. sut

sut Member

hi guys,

as some of you guys will know i have brought a gilera dna 50 for my son for xmas. i have had the bike resprayed and today i put all the fairing back on. after doing this i went to start the bike and have found it will not start. i have had the rac out who have told me the ht leads and spark plug are all good and it seems to be a fuel issue, the rac man attempted to suck fuel through but was unable to. he think it maybe the fuel pump can anyone tell me a way i can check if it is or isnt. i have 1 day to get this bike ready for my son for xmas day,
    does anyone know a mobile bike mechanic in the birmingham area i could call out?????

thanks

2. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Hi
    you could just get another depression pump. They're cheap as chips and easy to fit once you have the plastic off. Get 50 cm of fuel hose while you're at it & replace the stiff tat on there too. Then you'll be in business. Trying to do it with the existing pipes will be unpleasant & require a hairdryer. Just get new. Don't cut them too short ! Do not confuse the air depression pipe with the fuel pipe. Just put it back on the same way you took it all off. Some small zip ties are good insurance where the pipes go in the pump & the carb.
    Do not mess with the smallest pipe connected to the carb. That's the oil.
    Must be a garage open tomorrow -
    good luck -

3. sut

sut Member

no garages round by me are open tomorrow that work on bikes.
    i think i am screwed

4. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    No. You have a great on-going project to do with your son. And if he sees how it works, he'll be in a better position to sort himself out when it stops working.
    I would play it straight.

5. sut

sut Member

i know what you are saying but the issue here is he is still not going to have a present or atleast a none usable gift xmas morning,

6. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    check if fuel is getting to the carb, drain the float bowl (check if water comes out). After it's drained turn the engine over a few times with the kickstart and check the float bowl again

7. sut

sut Member

from what i could see and from what the rac man was saying the fuel is not getting to the carb, he was sucking the pipe as well with very little fuel coming through.

8. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    You pump the depression hose and the fuel flows from the fuel pipe. You don't actually suck - you alternate positive & negative pressure (suck & blow). It stops the engine filling with petrol when it's off. They are a nightmare - which is why lots of folk (me included) have a tap and no depression pump.

KyleH likes this.
  9. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    when was the last time it was started?

10. sut

sut Member

Attached Files:

11. sut

sut Member

it started fine yesterday, had no issue at all starting it

12. Subw00fer

Subw00fer Snqʍ00ɟǝɹ

Rides:
    70cc NRG
    not sure why it wouldnt be starting today then, anything happened to it at all?

13. sut

sut Member

not that i know of i have just put the fairing back on,

14. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    Just out of curiosity- try blocking the airbox hole with some tissue paper or a rag. It's possible that nothing is wrong - it's just cold. blocking the air box is like adding more choke for the start. The RAC man might not know how depression pumps work. Make sure you have both brake levers actioned when you kick it (some scoots will not start otherwise) and do not twist the accelerator.

15. sut

sut Member

just tried that turbovetto and no luck,
    if i can get a pump tomorrow how easy is it to fit to the bottom of the tank? do i need to drain the tank and all that.

16. sut

sut Member

oh and please understand i am really poor with mechanical work, i can prove this with my trip to the hospital today to get my toe glued back on after attempting to start the bike via the kick start with no shoes on, DOH,

17. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    dead easy. siphon the tank, unscrew the coller and twist it out. Take it with you so you get the right diameter pump.
    Note which nozzle is the fuel & which is the air. The hard part is not the thing itself but the plastic preventing you from getting at it.
    And never, NEVER go anywhere near a kickstart - or indeed a garage- in bare feet

18. sut

sut Member

what do you mean The hard part is not the thing itself but the plastic preventing you from getting at it. what plastic thing? i hope the picture is uploading for you as i cant see any plastic thing?

Attached Files:

19. turbovetto

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    by jove you've got no fairing to fight with. Good. I wish my scooter was like that....

20. sut

sut Member

ok so no issue with that then, so do i just drain the tank undo them to nuts holding it to the tank reconnect the 2 fuel line pipes to it and thats it? is there no electric connection or anything else at all? what is the gold thing and does that need replacing?