Hi All,
A new member here requiring advice from other members who are far more well versed and experienced than myself. Apologies my first post is one requesting help before I have made a meaningful contribution here but I am new to scooters for one and have no knowledge whatsoever about scooters, let alone mopeds, motorbikes or cars. I am not sure what valuable participation I can make going forward what with my lack of knowledge and experience but will no doubt stay around as an active member going forward to learn if anything, probably asking more questions than giving answers.
So to my situation I require advice on, I'll try and keep it brief as possible but conscious I also need to explain the situation with pertinent info so the correct advice/opinions can be given.
Why am I buying my first scooter? - I live in a town/city in the outer Kent area but work in London. I live 3.5 miles from the mainline train station and for the last couple of years I use either public bus or taxi to get from home to the station or vice versa. The shift I am on dictates what mode of transport I use to and from the station. If early then a taxi because the first bus doesnt start & pass mine until after the time of the train I need to be on already. The train departs before the first bus even starts its route. On the flip side coming home I get a taxi if on a mid or late shift because I dont get back into the train station until after the bus timetable changes. From the first bus throughout the day until about 6pm they run every 10 minutes. After 6pm they are on a evening timetable service and run only once an hour. This can mean depending on what time I get in, I could be waiting upto an hour for the next bus, as it stands it is normally 40-50 minutes I would have to wait.
The cost of taxis over a month proper adds up, roughly £130-40 a month. Also a monthly bus pass, although cheaper than paying single daily fare, is of no value as I dont get the full benefit of it. Parking for scooters, moped and motorbikes is free at the station. Secondly the bus journey takes 20 odd minutes point to point from home to train station as it goes round the town which further eats into my personal time from an already long day at work and a hour on the train travelling as it is. A scooter would take 8 mins roughly there and back like the taxi saving so much time, also the low cost to maintain one including insurance would save me heaps each month. It would pay for itself after a few months even after the initial outlay of buying one.
So to my dilemma
Would appreciate your opinions if you stayed this long to read my wall of text as to whether you would or would not buy it and reasons why? Also anything a novice like me has missed or not considered.
One last thing, I see in my research lexmotos with far more mileage and date of registration between 2013-17 attracting a market value of around £400-650. Would that be about right? Would my research that lexmotos from 2018 with warranty left also be about £975-1100 be a right secondhand market price?
Thanks all for reading and any help you can give.
A new member here requiring advice from other members who are far more well versed and experienced than myself. Apologies my first post is one requesting help before I have made a meaningful contribution here but I am new to scooters for one and have no knowledge whatsoever about scooters, let alone mopeds, motorbikes or cars. I am not sure what valuable participation I can make going forward what with my lack of knowledge and experience but will no doubt stay around as an active member going forward to learn if anything, probably asking more questions than giving answers.
So to my situation I require advice on, I'll try and keep it brief as possible but conscious I also need to explain the situation with pertinent info so the correct advice/opinions can be given.
Why am I buying my first scooter? - I live in a town/city in the outer Kent area but work in London. I live 3.5 miles from the mainline train station and for the last couple of years I use either public bus or taxi to get from home to the station or vice versa. The shift I am on dictates what mode of transport I use to and from the station. If early then a taxi because the first bus doesnt start & pass mine until after the time of the train I need to be on already. The train departs before the first bus even starts its route. On the flip side coming home I get a taxi if on a mid or late shift because I dont get back into the train station until after the bus timetable changes. From the first bus throughout the day until about 6pm they run every 10 minutes. After 6pm they are on a evening timetable service and run only once an hour. This can mean depending on what time I get in, I could be waiting upto an hour for the next bus, as it stands it is normally 40-50 minutes I would have to wait.
The cost of taxis over a month proper adds up, roughly £130-40 a month. Also a monthly bus pass, although cheaper than paying single daily fare, is of no value as I dont get the full benefit of it. Parking for scooters, moped and motorbikes is free at the station. Secondly the bus journey takes 20 odd minutes point to point from home to train station as it goes round the town which further eats into my personal time from an already long day at work and a hour on the train travelling as it is. A scooter would take 8 mins roughly there and back like the taxi saving so much time, also the low cost to maintain one including insurance would save me heaps each month. It would pay for itself after a few months even after the initial outlay of buying one.
So to my dilemma
- I have found a second hand scooter in the local rag, a Lexmoto 125. (I know people have differing opinions on them as researched them but this is merely to get me to the station and back)
- The seller wants £875 for it. It is a 2018 model and a year old, pictures show no damage and pretty much pristine. It still has just under 2 years warranty on it which is transferable and no MOT needed for another 2 years also. My extensive research of this model & year being sold elsewhere around the country secondhand shows a market price between £975-1100. - PRICE A RED FLAG FOR ME BASED ON RESEARCH MENTIONED
- The seller, said he needs a super quick sale as needs funds due to a family issue - ANOTHER RED FLAG FOR ME
- I done a 54 point check on the scooter based on the reg he gave, it comes back totally clean on everything, Stolen, Stolen recovered, finance, imported, written off or accidents, insurance claim, mileage, registration date matches what he sent me etc etc. Yes I will check the bike VIN registered from the check results incase a copycat/Plate Swap. - NO ISSUES HERE
- I have arranged a viewing in person asking him if he minded if I brought my friend who is a motorbike mechanic so he can check the bike over, he welcomed this and had no issues with it. Except I dont have a friend who is a motorbike mechanic, I merely said that because if anything wrong with the scooter mechanically which is hidden to the novice buyer he was trying to kid, I would expect them to be evasive, not reply or simply respond that it is sold and wait for someone else. - NO ISSUES HERE
- I asked him his bottom line that he would take, he asked me what am I prepared to pay. I responded via text that my budget is £600 and £700 top end as could not afford more and am seeing 2 other lexmotos the same year and mileage. He replied his bottom line is £775 but if I decided on his over the others on the day would prob take £750. - EVEN BIGGER RED FLAGS DROPPING £200 ODD ESPECIALLY BASED ON THE RESEARCH I MENTIONED EARLIER
Would appreciate your opinions if you stayed this long to read my wall of text as to whether you would or would not buy it and reasons why? Also anything a novice like me has missed or not considered.
One last thing, I see in my research lexmotos with far more mileage and date of registration between 2013-17 attracting a market value of around £400-650. Would that be about right? Would my research that lexmotos from 2018 with warranty left also be about £975-1100 be a right secondhand market price?
Thanks all for reading and any help you can give.

