Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
Hi. I'm wondering if any one can help or advise me.
I've recently bought a Peugeot vclic 50cc moped from a friend. He bought it a couple of years ago from Gumtree but never changed the logbook into his name. He's since lost the logbook and also the number plate (don't ask me how mind). To be able to get a new logbook from the dvla I need the the reg. And to get the reg I need the logbook.
I've ran a basic hpi check with the vin number but it doesn't reveal the reg.
I'm pretty sure it's 2012 model from what I remember when he bought it but that's about it.
I should imagine Peugeot UK might be able to help as machines will be recorded by vin until a dealer registers it so they should know where it went when new.
They might charge a fee though??
Does he not have any paperwork eg old MOT's or service receipts?
If you know where he bought it from possibly an enquiry in that direction??
Personally I would never buy anything without some proof or a v5. It's getting more difficult to get stuff through DVLA.
I'll try Peugeot thanks. He bought it with full intentions on doing it all legally but never did. And it just sat in his shed for ages. The dvla responded by saying to register it. In my opinion the moped isn't worth it. Only paid £80 for it because of this tricky situation Didn't realise how much of a pain in the a***e it actually would be.
I went with him to buy it can't remember the actual house I know the rough area and there's no history on Gumtree.
That's the problem the value isn't there although I think it's worth a lot more than £80.
It'll probably cost you more to register it. If you were keeping it but if no joy with Peugeot either stick it on ebay as spares only or see if you can get a frame with v5 and transfer everything over but that is also a hassle if you just wanted a cheap bargain moped.
That's the thing just wanted a cheap run about. Didn't realise it would be this much hassle. The frame idea is good though it would give me a project as well.
Seems to be a few breaking on ebay so might be worth some emails if any are nearer to you.
I believe a Baotian 50 is the same although I'm not sure which model and also the Pulse Scout.
There will be panel/style differences but the frame/mechanicals should be the same.
It's made in China so spares will not be a problem and cheap (apart from genuine Peugeot) lol
Obviously you'll need to research to see if the frame design changed depending on year.
So catching up with episodes of ON YER BIKE and this one popped up.
its going to give luke some idea on how to get a reg number , this chap got an old honda cub with no reg but was able to get a v5 for the honda cub. the first 5 mins is worth watching Luke
Just had a look at this trade HPI and yes that does seem an easy way of getting the reg number and can be done from the vin number.
You just need a friendly dealer to do it for you.
Possibly a breaker might do it??
Just watched the video and as I thought this trade hpi seems the the best way forward. Just got rack my brains as to who will do it for me. Don't mind paying a small fee just to end this saga haha.
Thanks again guys and if you know someone who could do it for me let me know
Just walk in to your nearest motorcycle dealer or car dealer/ garage and ask.
I find the little backstreet type places tend to be more helpful than the glossy showrooms but no harm in asking as most are enthusiasts.
If they won't do it they might know someone who will.
Take a pic of the vin plate and the scooter in general and explain it got stripped down years ago and was left.
Some ID might also be useful to prove you are not trying a scam.
Are you on friendly terms with any local dealers?
Is there a peugeot dealer near??
Motorcycle dismantlers?
I built a diesel motorcycle a few years ago and to get the engine number changed on the v5 it needs an inspection and a notification from an engineer on headed paper.
I asked my local friendly car MOT man if he would do it and it was no problem.
It might help if you told us where you are and someone might be able to help?
I think the next step will be going garage to garage. Tried emailing Peugeot but no reply. Been to a bike place called thunder road but they couldn't help. Just put posts in a couple of places on Facebook.
I might go for a drive to the rough area where my mate bought the ped in the first place, to see if it jogs my memory of the house
I'm in Bridgend, south Wales.
Your nearest Peugeot dealer is in Cardiff so try local bike garages.
Thunder Road probably didn't want to do it as it's supposed to be for trade only.
Best bet is the smaller independent dealers.
So catching up with episodes of ON YER BIKE and this one popped up.
its going to give luke some idea on how to get a reg number , this chap got an old honda cub with no reg but was able to get a v5 for the honda cub. the first 5 mins is worth watching Luke
I've just messaged the guy that runs the show( well I think it's him lol) thanks for the tip
Your nearest Peugeot dealer is in Cardiff so try local bike garages.
Thunder Road probably didn't want to do it as it's supposed to be for trade only.
Best bet is the smaller independent dealers.
Yeah think going to be the next step. Cheers buddy
Just had a breakthrough at last!! I messaged the guy from on yeh bike. He has given me the name of the guy who helped him. Fingers crossed now. Will keep you posted and thank you for the help and advice so far