New 2017 Piaggio Zip 50cc 2T

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by UltraNuman, Mar 21, 2017.

1. UltraNuman

UltraNuman New Member

Hi I'm new here. As the title says I've just got a new Zip, a few questions.
    1, the book says until run-in drive at 80% of fall speed, it's restricted does that mean 80% of the unrestricted top speed which I believe to be 40mph so just over 30mph or a stupid 24mph if restricted.
    2, if I just had the spacer removed and no other work done what speed would I expect to reach?
    Thank you in advance for any information gained.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    1 : 80% of top speed restricted or derestricted , what they really mean is dont be running bike flat out for like 40 miles at 30mph balls to the wall, take it easy for the first X amount of miles they request.

2: 30-35 mph stock without other changes, reason being engines horsepower is limited via the restrictive exhaust and the carb/electronic restrictions. in some cases the bike would get to 40mph or around that but the time taken would be infinitive due to the low horsepower thats delivered.

most young tuners make this mistake, they remove the restriction ring from the variator and expect a higher top speed. what they do not under stand is that is usually only one part of restricting the scooter/motorcycle. a sport exhaust is unrestricted so it allows the engine to have a higher rpm , a higher rpm = more horsepower , more horsepower requires more fuel and air so the carb needs to be adjusted to allow this.
    once these extra restrictions are removed the 50cc engine is able to produce a lot more horsepower and thus propel the scooter/bike to a higher top speed.,

Welcome to the scootershack Ultra

UltraNuman likes this.
  3. UltraNuman

UltraNuman New Member

Thanks for the info. I did have a 17 year old Zip that me and my ex had from new which had all the restrictions sorted, did 50mph plus but ive been told the older zips (cat) had bigger carberettas so more fuel, more air. Im hoping to get 40 max dont need to be faster as dont like driving 30 on 40mph roads where i live.

4. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

As it is a new machine I would advise leaving it alone at least for a couple of services as your warranty may be void. Depending how friendly your dealer is it might be worth talking to them first.
    If you don't care about it and are prepared to pay for any repairs that may or may not be down to derestriction that is your choice.

5. UltraNuman

UltraNuman New Member

The dealer said it could be done on the first service (500kl) but ive looked into it and most people seem to think wait till 1000km and im in no rush and its a long term Zip like my last one. So best way of doing that is to look after it from the start.
    I must admit that the new zip looks a bit more cheaply made compared to the old one (body work).

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Probably made in China like the new Typhoon lol

7. UltraNuman

UltraNuman New Member

Yes it is. The engine too but apparently all the machining is exactly the same as the Vespa factory so SHOULD be as reliable as Italian engines (well here's hoping).