Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsThe Tuning CenterScooter Tuning

Exhaust Query

Discussion in Scooter Tuning started by gazza, 17 Apr 2007
gazza#1
Hi all i'm new to this site and would welcome some advise!

I have purchased a new leo vince zx exhaust for my gilera runner sp50 L/C 2005 model, I wonder if any of you guys out there can give me some advice before fitting. My query is that on the existing standard exhaust there is a section of pipework coming from it with a small piece of hose attached to one side of the air filter box of the carb what looks like a 1 way valve diaphram system. But on the new exhaust there is nothing can anyone advise me if they have come across this problem before of what I need to do!!!!. Also what size main jet would I need to use to work properly with the exhaust!
thanks
Gazza
MiNoR cOnFuSiOn#2
try a 62 with 5.5g rollers. the pipeing is the cat system and can be left in place or be removed. the pipe runs into the crankcase drawiing air wich is added to the exhaust fumes to lower the emmisions. when you fit the pipe wind the oil cable out slightly too.
gazza#3
Exhaust Query continued

Hi
Thanks MiNoRcOnFuSiOn for the fast response when you say "wind the oil cable out slightly too" what exactly do you mean & what for, :( sorry to sound like a numpty.

I have been sent a set of rollers and clutch springs with the exhaust as a part of a matching kit are these ok! unsure what weight the rollers are as I've not had time to check as yet, anymore advise is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Gazza
JakeSP#4
At the front of the transmission case theres an 8mm bolt (with the oil cable going through it) and a 10mm nut to prevent it moving.

On the transmission case at the front theres a rubber which you can take it to look at the oil pump. Do this, Then wind the throttle open and you'll see which part moves. There should be a line on this part and the oil pump itself which line up when the throttle isnt being pulled. Undo the 10mm nut and take the 8mm bolt out a few turns (i'd say just past the mark on the oil pump, Better seeing what Minor says though) then do the 10mm nut up, Put the rubber back in the case and voila!
monty9120#5
get some 5.5 rollers

the ones given are like 6.7 grams

fit the clutch springs too :pimp:
gazza#6
Thanks guys

Anyone else have any idea as to jet size to use and any problems noted when changing them.

Again thanks all!
gazza#7
Exhaust Query Part 2 continued

Hi All,

Well I've fitted the chrome leo vince zx on my gilera sp 50 2005 model and disconnected the CAT as recommend by MiNoRcOnFuSiOn I've installed the 6.7 rollers supplied but will replace with the recommended 5.5 at a later date. But I could not fit the clutch springs as I could not remove the bloody nut as the clutch neededs obviously compressing, and I haven't got a compressor. Any of you guys have any ideas apart from going to your local gilera shop of how to remove & replace?????

Also the company that I purchased it from www.Scooter-ProSports.com
threw in 3 x main jets sizes 60,64 & 68 all for £104, so I replaced the main jet with the 60, the bike now flies but there is nagging flat spot when accelerating any idea as to how to cure it !!!!!!!!!

Once again i'd appreciate any advise.
thanks
Gazza
wobbly_trials#8
check your jetting is corect by checking the colour of your plug.

the flat spot could be due to running lean or rich.
MiNoR cOnFuSiOn#9
the "flat spot" is after initial pull off and stays till around the 30mph mark.. (doesent rev till its above 30 basicly) this is your rollers being too heavy.. id work down from the richest jet and work down. if its slightly faster a little from full throttle then drop a jet size.
gazza#10
Exhaust Query Part 2 continued

Hi guy's
I must say this is a very GREAT site for response and advise.


MiNoRcOnFuSiOn you say "work down from the richest jet and work down. if it's slightly faster a little from full throttle then drop a jet size". could you be a little more specific, do you mean try the other 2 jets that I have received e.g. the 64,68 as you previously mentioned I should use a 62 main jet or purchase others.

hopefully with all the advise given the bike will run smoothly.

Also any advise on clutch removal????????????

Cheers
gazza#11
Jets + clutch springs

Hi

Has anybody got anymore answers to my last query
1) jet size (what do I need)
2) clutch removal (how without compressor)

cheers
wobbly_trials#12
1. i'm not really sure about your jet size

2. try to lock the clutch with a screwdriver or somthing, be careful not to damage it, not too sure if this method will work as i use a compressor.
MiNoR cOnFuSiOn#13
i think he means compressing it so the spring doesent shoot the clutch part up at your face (seen people loose all there teeth like this) stand on it and use an electric impact wrench to undoo the big nut just be carefull as it will want to split with alot of force

put the biggest jet you have in the bike and ride it. if its slightly faster when you come off the throttle slightly then its rich and you should put the next jet size down in.
wobbly_trials#14
ah right, yeah PMSL at that, seen them hit the ceiling ion the workshop from time to time.
gazza#15
Heavy Fuel Consumption

Hi All,

I have been running about on the bike for a couple of days now only to and from work to find the fuel consumption has gone through the roof, done nearly 20-25 mile and used almost a full tank of fuel now this is 'toooo excessive'? I mean it's only A gilera 50 not a bloody hummer :( .

I did replace the jet that came with the exhaust that I initial installed, which I thought was a size 60 on closer inspection it was found to be a size 80 (must get my eyes checked). I replaced it back with the original size 53 jet yesterday afternoon and so have only done 8 miles @ the most, for now runs a bit better not spluttering like before but still has a flat spot though & still majorly concerned about the fuel.

local shop have not got any 5.5 rollers or 62 jets in until nxt week???.

Also I have a light whining noise coming from the clutch/gearbox area that I never had before, only on tickover it goes away when starting to lightly rev up someone said to replace the belt with a mallosi any idea if this will cure it or what the prob is????

Hopefully some of you guy's may have an answers to my queries so i would be grateful as ever.

sorry to write chapter and verse.
Gazza
MiNoR cOnFuSiOn#16
i recon its belt wine but it could well be fluid/bearing in the gearbox. check it now as it could be the end of your engine.

the fuel consumption is due to the bike being low in revs and fed with more mixture than ness (rollers too heavy and too big a jet) get the 5.5's in
gazza#17
Hi
MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

What do you exactly mean to "recon it's belt wine but it could well be fluid/bearing in the gearbox". what do I need to check and what for !!

It still has the original belt still on it????

Thanks

Gazza
MiNoR cOnFuSiOn#18
the belts can squeak when there worn out. but check the fluid level in the gearbox (dipstick by rear wheel)
gazza#19
Thanks
MiNoRcOnFuSiOn for replying again

I mentioned earlier that I had replaced the jet back with the orignal size 53 I have checked the plug and that looks sound (normal colour) do you still recommend up-jetting to size 62 as well ?????

so until I have a look @ the belt maybe see about rollers from somewhere else while I've got the case off, I'll not be riding it @ the moment.

All advise gratefully appreciated

Gazza
gazza#20
Hi All,

Well I've checked the oil in the gearbox all seems ok there, & taken off the casing and can't see anything wrong there either no unecessary thing look out of place??? , the belt looks to be ok, but until completely taking it off can't say for sure.

anyone experinced bearing problems in the casing where the clutch spindle sits mine seem again to look alright no marks or anything just wondering as this noise only happens on tickover, as soons as any light revving of the throttle the noise is no longer there 'weird' :(

Any ideas anybody

Thanks in advance

Gazza

More threads in Scooter Tuning

what should i do to it now (to my speedy)12 replies11 May 2007
laser xpro roller weight9 replies10 May 2007
More!7 replies10 May 2007
Stunt 70cc Set Up minerelli vertical engine5 replies9 May 2007
Parts but no ped4 replies9 May 2007
mhr rep reliability1 replies5 May 2007
tuning my zip3 replies4 May 2007
WARE 2 START WITH ALL THE BASE GASkets that came with my kit17 replies3 May 2007
roller setup?6 replies2 May 2007
wat jet to start off with for my new stage6 racing 70s3 replies2 May 2007