WARE 2 START WITH ALL THE BASE GASkets that came with my kit

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by LIVELY16, Apr 29, 2007.

1. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

hey ppl
    i brought the STAGE 6 racing 70s kit and it has came with a variety of base gaskets and i do not have a clu what one to go for could any help me and tell me what the diffrent gaskets are for , they are all diffrent thicknesses obviously to adjust squash. but i do not no what one to go for
    help appriesiated cheers.

2. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    right, you want about 1mm of squish. so without a headgasket, fit the piston and rings, fit one of the middle sizes base gaskets and put 1mm soldering wire ontop of the piston (ensuring that the piston is at top-dead centre), then bolt the head down (not very tight, just so you feel the bolt bite)

nowunbolt the head and see if the wire has been crushed, you want to go thinner on the gaskets until the wire begins to crush slightly, this is then a 1mm squish. if it flattens the wire too much, go up one gasket.

3. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

ok , cheers , do i have to just put the solder on top of the piston as just a strip or shuld i screw up the solder into a ball , if ya no what i mean . soz for the agro .

4. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    flex it so it dosn't lay flay on the piston, then work down the gaskets until the solder is flat on the piston. the piston MUST be at the top of the stroke to do this though.

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    easy way... assemble as described (rings dont matter for this) put 2 lewngths in the plug hole to ether side of the cylinder and rotate. mesure the solder and decide wether its too thick or not.

6. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

so if it flatens to the same size as one of the gaskets then that is the gasket i shuld use.

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    no, you need it to flatten to 0.8mm-1.1mm so if its more use a thinner gasget, too small use a thicker one.

you WILL need vernier calipers to do this properly (around 15 quid from halfords)

8. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

ok i have vernier calipers lol . does this help

9. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    thanks minor, your'e better at explaining this.

10. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

UR BOTH GOOD AT EXPLAING cheers both of u for ur help much apriciated

11. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

so i put a middle size base gasket , cut a bit of soldering wire and lay it flat ontop of the piston , or put it down the plug hole so it goes to the side of the cyclinder as if it was going to be compressed together in between the piston and head ware the plug screws into , then i bolt it down slightly and if it has flatened the solder slightly then shuld i increse gasket size , or decrese it slightly , im sort of getting an understanding now. i jus want to get this clear cheers :wtf: :punk: :D :pimp: :wtf:

12. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    you need 0.8 - 1mm of squish ideally, so when the piston starts to mark 1mm solder wire then it's about 1mm squish.

13. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

ok cheers wobbly , i get it now , thanx for ure help ma8 cheers[/code]

14. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

by the way im running 4.7 rollers u rekon there too light for a 70s , i wheely alot , tho

15. aerox_soldier

aerox_soldier New Member

lol, do you mean it wheelies it self, or you choose to wheelie, run it and find out mate and fiddle for what you want

16. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

lol , when i had tha mhr rep kit on it it poped up its self but which made it piss easy to wheely , but ye i wheely so dey mite be good for wheeling

17. aerox_soldier

aerox_soldier New Member

well tinker with it till you find right set up, its not great to always be popping wheelies ;) i popped 1 off a set of lights on the A41 on the way home from ace, with a unmarked pig car behind me woppsie

18. LIVELY16

LIVELY16 New Member

isit , i hate the police , when is the next ace cafe meet on , and is the police there all the time or would it be safe to pull a veiw wheelies.