Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsMain Scooter TopicsGeneral Scooter Discussion

Which scooter to look for

Discussion in General Scooter Discussion started by animal47, 14 Dec 2018
animal47#1
After a year of running my Sym 125 I am thinking about changing it for something with more poke.
I would love something like a gilera runner 180 or vxr200 but am struggling to find much for sale that isn't miles away. Are there any other bikes that would offer a similar performance that I could also keep an eye out for.
scubabiker#2
If you want fast, look for a 2 stroke, otherwise they are all quite similar.
Or go down the big cc scooter route burgman,nexus etc
animal47#3
A 2 stroke is what I am on the lookout for ideally but I was under the impression that the runner 200 4t was also a quick bike with similar performance.
I know that there are more than one bike with the same engine, gilera runner and italjet dragster, are there any others to look out for. I am constantly scouring ebay etc but it would be good to know what models to look out for and any that should be avoided.
Sam phantom#4
Italjet formula twin, epic fun
scubabiker#5
I nearly bought a twin years ago, wishing I do now.
Sam phantom#6
Yeah! very special little bikes! Good top end about 80mph if I remember
Sam phantom#7
It’s Down fall was that massively fragile front single swing arm
MARSH#8
Buy a 250-300cc !
scubabiker#9
Buy a 250-300cc !
No replacement for displacement
Sam phantom#10
Yamaha Xmax
animal47#11
To be honest I hadn't really considered a maxi type scooter as I really fancied a nippy 180 BUT I must admit I do quite like the look of a burgman 400, especially seeing as they can be picked up for pretty cheap and look extremely comfortable.
MARSH#12
Gilera runners/ Italjets and the like are old, 15 years or more. No parts available anymore, a Bergman would be everything you'd ever want !
animal47#13
Anybody got any experience of the X9 250 evo. There is one advertised cheap close to me so just wondering if they're any good.
scubabiker#14
My ex had one. Not much difference between it and my 125 runner, a little higher top end maybe but that was it. Comfy and loads of storage though
MARSH#15
Even the x9 is old!
animal47#16
A 2005 400 burgman has come up for sale close by for a steal with a new mot but claims to have noisy rollers, it even comes with a new set of rollers to go in.
I am fairly capable mechanically but have never touched a scooter drivetrain before, is this a difficult job and is it easy to tell whether it is indeed the rollers or something more sinister.
scubabiker#17
Without listening or riding I wouldn't know. Rollers tend to not make noise if they are worn.
MARSH#18
On any scooter the rollers can rattle in the variator on low tickover, rev it slightly and it should go away ! There not to difficult to work on as long as you have the right kit to put it back together !

More threads in General Scooter Discussion

Honda SH125i2 replies9 Jan 2019
Neos 70cc full throttle cuts out5 replies23 Dec 2018
Piaggio Vespa et2 50cc2 replies22 Dec 2018
Piaggio zip1 replies17 Dec 2018
Beeline Pista 50LC Help needed please guys.3 replies16 Dec 2018
Tyre puncture9 replies15 Dec 2018
What's this part called?1 replies11 Dec 2018
hreitage front lamp.1 replies5 Dec 2018
Motoroma 50cc G10 20150 replies1 Dec 2018
Sinnis Encanto 50cc Wont run EML1 replies22 Nov 2018