Tyre puncture

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by MrXT, Dec 10, 2018.

1. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Got my second tyre puncture and plugged it with one of those sticky snake rubber stripes will some vulcanizing agent rubbed over the hole. I know i should get the tyre patched from the inside or changed but the hole in in a good spot right in the middle of the tyre between the tread so im tempted to leave it until i get it MOT'ed in a month. Has anyone used one of these long term? how do they hold up?

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    What price do you put on your neck ? A new tire every time for me !

3. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

You never pay them to patch it from the inside?

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Those snake type things that you push through and trim?
    If it is they are really for get you out of trouble only repair.
    I'd change the tyre myself but I have had customers only want a pull through patch, from the inside like a car tyre.

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Just put a tube in there.
    Cheaper than a new tyre.

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Ultraseal the tyres

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Fill the tyres with concrete?
    Anyone know if that mx mousse stuff comes in scooter sizes?

8. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Well i took it to my local place and the guy tried to remove my sticky snake and replace it with his own sticky snake i was like nah it needs patching from the inside and he said that isnt needed that his sticky snake was better than mine and would last the life of the tyre. When i insisted he went to look and came back and said he didnt have any mushroom plugs so i just got a new tyre. I dont think he really wanted to remove the tyre and just wanted £15 for a new sticky snake.

Think i might buy one of those stop and go mushroom plug kits, they seem expensive but at least i could patch one myself instead of wasting time with cowboys. Pity as the tyre only had 800 miles on it at most.

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I think you made the better choice in the long run

10. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Id rather have just had it patched from the inside, chances are ill get another puncture long before the plug would have worn out because london is a shithole. The hole was in the best spot you could get for a long term patch its just a pity my local service spots are shit.