Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsMain Scooter TopicsGeneral Scooter Discussion

Piaggio Nrg 2003 Headlights. Need everyone help

Discussion in General Scooter Discussion started by Garren, 17 Oct 2016
Garren#1
Hey guys! :)

Took my moped to a not station last week and my Nrg failed, all because of the headlight pattern. Brought a set off ebay and the guy promised the bike had been previously mot'd with these lights on and passed. I went back with new ones fitted and they still said it's a failure. No pattern. But bugger me if you can find any thing different....anywhere.

By the way the photo is not my bike but has the same light setup.


What can I do as what I'm looking at now is, that every NRG in the UK of this shape is now basically useless ???

Please, Please help.

Photos are added to show what type lights I have.
Garren#2
well that's what they were saying. It's just coming out as a full circle when it should be a half circle. What do I do ?
Garren#3
got a email address ? that's easier. But I know, I spent 30 quid on a new set and still the same problem. It failed on kick back not visible on screen. I'll get a photo but need to send through email as I can't do it on here with a a dress of it
Garren#4
cheers mate I will ring them today and confront them if nothing changes I will use a different garage!
many thanks
scubabiker#5
lights should have a pattern, well dipped lights should anyway, they have a flat top and a kickup bit to the left or right side (dependant on the country they are for) the kick up is to light the side of the road, if its the wrong way, then you dazzle other road users.
it is a legal requirement.
they should have E marks on them too
Garren#6
this is my problem. No were and I mean no where sell and do any other type. These are OEM. so I have no clue what to do
Garren#7
guys I found a supplier. in Germany. It's E marked. Do you think I can use it in the UK ? they won't say as they don't know.
cheers
Garren#8
My bike has Oem lights. I brought another set Oem lights from a bike that supposedly was first registered in UK. it was a 03 plate and always had them throughout the years. Look online and that's all you find until you look deep Web.
Garren#9
Well it's oem but no E mark. It's all very confusing. it's very close to being broken down for parts and after all the money and time I put into this so far that seems a shame over lights...
Tamiyacowboy#10
is that the NRG MC3 if so it comes with a P26s bulb socket and a pain to get bulbs for.

if its not creating the correct pattern thats unusual and could be down to upgraded headlamp unit and not the bulb itself.

e marked bulbs tend to be black tip coated , or if its an led its shielded to prevent anything above horizontal, to what i can make out theres two sets of lamps

UK legal headlamp unit and non uk lamp unit. the difference is the kickup. uk lamps have a left kickup where non uk legal lamps have a right hand kickup in the light pattern.

maybe if you can swap out to a BA20d bulb socket, shove in a ba20d bulb and have it mot checked ( dont stick it in for an mot just have them check the light spread on low beam( the test fails on the low beam i bet and not high beam)
Garren#11
Sorry Guys completely forgot to reply!!

So I went online, did some searching and came across this German supplier of Piaggip parts. 90Quid later and I got a updated E marked version of the Piaggio lights. Went straight in and passed straight away!!

Happy days.

Thanks for all your help on this one guys really appreciated!!:)
Garren#12
This was the passable set you can see a big difference is the part. Considering they are piaggio parts they should of just sold these.
20161023_110518.jpgScreenshot_20161028-173358.png
Garren#13
Second photo was the impassable set.So the old set is up for sale :)
Garren#14
It's the only one available on breaker sites or eBay mate. This light cane off a bike first registered in uk

More threads in General Scooter Discussion

Piaggio Nrg For sale1 replies6 Nov 2016
I have to keep my scooter outside, max temp outside 10 Celsius4 replies5 Nov 2016
2010 Piaggio Zip 50cc - help needed!0 replies1 Nov 2016
First scooter help newbie help!6 replies31 Oct 2016
Scooter runs fine but won't idle0 replies30 Oct 2016
Thermostat11 replies26 Oct 2016
Big bor kit4 replies19 Oct 2016
yamaha cw50ng1 replies18 Oct 2016
New Honda Vision 110 (66 Plate)2 replies17 Oct 2016
how to bump start7 replies14 Oct 2016