Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
Hi, im looking into buying a scooter for my 16year old son.so can only be 50cc or less.
This for him to get to and from work about 7 miles each way.
have seen a new one on ebay. name of bike JM STAR for under £600 are there any good.
or what would you buy.
if I could get a s/hand one for less would it be a better buy.
long time from my biking days frist one I had was a FS1E
thanks for any help you can give as I dont know what is what when looking for one.
Hi, i'm looking into buying a scooter for my 16year old son.so can only be 50cc or less.
This for him to get to and from work about 7 miles each way.
have seen a new one on ebay. name of bike JM STAR for under £600 are there any good.
or what would you buy.
if I could get a s/hand one for less would it be a better buy.
long time from my biking days frist one I had was a FS1E
thanks for any help you can give as I don't know what is what when looking for one.
the most reiable 50 ive seen are the nrg and zips mate go with them and you will be happy you can get them for that price on ebay but a few years old tho but once you get it send it in garage and get it service and checked over
lol to be honest mate that JM STAR is a piece of chinese poop! and if it breaks your gonna be banging your head on the wall while looking for parts :banghead: if u ask me i would say a gilera runner, yammaha aerox, or nrg are the best choices for your son :good:
Thanks for all your reply's.
looked at a few scooters and talked with my son about what he would like.
Got asked by him if he paid me back each week could he have what he liked.
So went to the dealer near us to look as a DNA 2008.
Next to it was a new TGB R50X which he loved the look off,
so off home to read up about it.
one of many good review here. http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-2034-tgb-r50x-review.aspx
Talk to both dealer and the importer about parts
dealer says next day delivey and importer says they have all parts. they could not have been more helpfull.
TBG was first established as the original equipment manufacturer for the Piaggio group, the Italian manufacture of the iconic Vespa brand.
Im sure if the bike had the Piaggio name on lots more would be on the road,
Im always hearing you can't get rover parts and I know frist hand that not right as I drive a rover and repair cars for a living.
I see that they are offering an unlimited mileage 5 year warranty, which for somebody like me isn't worth the paper its written on. Because I do all my own repairs and servicing, that's the warranty void for kick off.
I am not paying £50+ per hour labour and the full price for factory parts. Much of a scooter is consumables, so is chargable for and its labour. It's the money they claw back from this, that inspires them to offer such warranties.
A seizure caused by running out of two stroke, will be off your back, as you are expected to do daily checks, which includes coolant levels on water cooled bikes.
If you repair cars you will know all of the above, it was for any young first time buyers.
the dna ive got a 57 plate 1600 miles on it looks stunning, £800 from ebay, ot 16 yet 6 months to go argh! just getting a yasuni pipe for it and i have polini airfiltet + variator