Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsMain Scooter TopicsThe Workshop

Damzel In Distress - Help!

Discussion in The Workshop started by vespalovinlucy, 18 Jun 2010
vespalovinlucy#1
Hiya,

My names Lucy & I'm looking to buy a brand new scooter for under £1200 - Difficult I know.

Just wondering if anybody has heard of the brand "Tamoretti" before & if so... is there any information that I need to know about these bikes?!

Thankyouuuuu...

Lucy xx
capri dave#2
im afraid i had never heard of them before, but a quick google search uncovered this:



i presume they are 1 of the cheap chinese scooters that are flooding the market just recently :glare:

it would be unfair for me to comment on Tamoretti, as i know nothing about them, but chinese scooters are generally very cheap and nasty, also spares can be virtually impossible to obtain...

welcome to the forum btw :)
vespalovinlucy#3
Awwh! Thanks very much for your reply. I've been refreshing the page whilst at work allll day :-)

Everybody I come across says that they have not heard of them before so I'm naturally quite wary, however I only have about £1500 to spend & want my scooter to be brand new & the same style as the vespa or tamoretti, I'm really struggling here :-/

Thanks for the welcome, I'll be sure to keep logging in & out to check on any updates.

Lucy xx
MopedGuy#4
Peugeot V-Clic's are about £900 new.
Although not in the exact style your after I would say there are similarities., for a new, cheap scooter they are the best named brand out there.
vespalovinlucy#5
Just googled the Peugeot V-Clic. I'm sure they are probably similar engine wise etc. However, I'm female :-p Am looking for something that doesn't really have any plastic on it (if that makes sense). I LOVE the style of the Tamoretti & the way it looks like one of those funky teen American push bikes with the chrome back rack. I'm totally lost with this & soooo gutted that Tamoretti is looking to be cheap & nasty :-(

Lucy x
tErr0#6
You can quite easily get a pretty much brand new Vespa 50 or 125 for that amount of money and you would then save the huge amount lost in depreciation as Vespa's hold their value pretty well.

E.g.

http://www.gumtree.com/london/32/60491732.html

http://www.gumtree.com/london/91/60276691.html

What are the reasons for wanting a brand new scooter?

The "tamoretti" will be made out of plastic and be completely terrible. It's a copy of an Aprilia Habana which you can actually pick up pretty cheap.
vespalovinlucy#7
In all fairness, my lil ol Gran'ma wants me to get a brand new one, as she is paying for it for my Birthday. I would LOVE to get a Vespa - They are gorrrrgeous. Just didn't think that I could afford one.

I'm gonna check out those Gumtree sites as SOON as I get home from work & will be sure to log back on & have a chat about it if necessary. You guys have been REALLY helpful.

I obv dont wanna take the chance buying a cr*ppy scooter & it break down in a few months.

Thank you SOOOO much

Lucy x
seancullen#8
chinese companies have a habit of changing their names a lot so basically its the same as any other chinese scoot and for the money you would be MUCH better getting a used italian or jap bike, even that model pictured above is a copy of a honda joker



a second hand vespa or aprilia habana would suit you down to the ground i think
MiNoR cOnFuSiOn#9
as people have said, the cheaper new bikes (especially all the chineese shit popping up) are not worth buying. a 10 year old vespa will break less than one of these, you can get good examples for 600. watch out for rust and dents as they are metal and its the hardest thing to fix on them. other than that parts are everywhere. i have 2 of them sitting outside for a reason :) but ye. for the money your gonna spend its WELL WORTH buying a GOOD second hand vespa et4 (try to find one wiht a leader engine as there better geard and do longer distances alot better....) could ask for a little more/bung some in yourself and buy a new zip 50.... way more reliable than anything youve mentioned and shares the same engine as the 50 equivalant. basicly stick with piaggio/gilera as parts are more readily avalable, they all break eventually, might aswell buy the best, for a little more, that will hold its value. as terro said, vespa's dont really loose value, the value is in its condition not its age so if you buy one and look after it you could probably get more for it once you come to sell it (if you shop about for a bargain of course). the bikes you have mentioned are notorious for electrical problems (same with the peugot's) aswell as seriously poor quality parts that do like to break, alot.. most of the chineese biukes are new bikes after 3 or 4 years as prittymuch every part gets replaced.. one thing breaks, you fix it, in wich taking the pannel off it breaks as its shit quality.. threads on any nut/bolt dissapear in a matter of munites... chineese bikes are like anything else thats real cheap.... think of scooters like washing up liquid. if you buy the cheap one as you get more for your money, you end up buying loads and loads and loads.. where as if you buy a good one, you dont buy another for a hell of alot longer :) buy somthing you wont regret buying.. also, if somone is doing you somthing nice, sit them down and explain to them about the things. if they see there doing you a favor and putting you in a better position BY buying somthing second hand then iom sure they will agree. lets face it, a grand will get you a REAL good second hand scoot. theres LOTS out there wiht verry little use that people payd 2 grand for and never really rode that much.

blah blah, im having the same old "what scoot to buy" conversation again LOL
cheap vespa#10
The Tamoretti Has got the Chinese 4stroke engine in it.I think the panels are plastic.I am a member on the Chinese scooter forum and have a Peugeot V clic.

I can say that the lads on there praise the Tamoretti and the engines are reliable if you are mechanically minded.The fluids that come with them need replacing with quality oil brake fluid ect.All nuts and fixtures need the once over for tightness.

I have to admit tho,to get any decent power out of them engines you need to modify and tune the engine which costs money.
I have spent £400 in mods on mine and my little 50 does 50mph and I'm 18 stone.ok 40-45 on the flat.

The summery of what I'm saying is save a bit extra and buy a Vespa,the Italian scooters are better and more reliable now with CDI ignition.
If you are mech minded or can get a family member to help then the Tamoretti is an option.

Paul
vespalovinlucy#11
Wow!! Imagine my surprise waking up to another 3 little helpers on the case for me.

:) Thanks guys. I am in no way mechanically minded & would rely on Taz Motorcycles across the road to take care of my bike for me. Unfortunately I've been born into a family who drive cars :blink: I knowww... the devil in disguise to bikers... So therefore I have no idea what I'm doin, I only know what I want my bike to 'look' like.. This is where i'm struggling & falling for these jack-a-nory stories from different websites selling shitty bikes that will fall apart after 1 journey to work & back.

I'm going to have a look online all of today & see if I can find anything on ebay/gumtree/pistonheads/autotrader ETC.

I wish I didn't have to look... Why can't a nice cream or black vespa in 125cc & no older than 2002 come to me NOWWWW!! Grrr :banghead:

I really appreciate your help though so much & will come back if I see something & are unsure :grin:

On that note... If there are any further comments on the subject or anything that anyone thinks would be useful to me then please continue to post. (Bare in mind that I don't understand bike jargon or engine smush :P )


Lucy xxx
bertie#12
Put it this way Lucy, I have a 17yr old piaggio skipper (1993), and it still runs and rides like new today. A chinese bike would never last 17yrs, infact most of them barely make it to the first MOT (after 3yrs).

So really, my skipper has outlasted 6 chinese scooters, now 6 X £600 (price for cheap chinese scoot new) == £3600.. A brand new vespa 50 is around £2200.

So there ya go, chinese scooters are MORE expencive in the long run.

Buy cheap, Buy twice.

Pay Peanuts, get Monkeys.
vespalovinlucy#13
Yeah, all starting to make sense now.
I've been a busy bee this morning....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250651251054&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT


http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1661570.htm


http://cambridge.gumtree.com/cambridge/88/57490088.html

What are your thoughts on the above. I really love the cherry red ebay listing minus the 2 flags :)

Lucy x
capri dave#14
just a thought...the 2nd vespa is a 250cc, which means you wouldnt be able to ride it on a provisional license...

im presuming you havent passed your full bike test of course...you didnt say :)
vespalovinlucy#15
Awwhh dammit! Your right. I just got my CBT for the moment.

Ahhh well. I think my fave option is the 1st one thats on ebay. What do you think?! x
capri dave#16
vespalovinlucy said:
Awwhh dammit! Your right. I just got my CBT for the moment.

Ahhh well. I think my fave option is the 1st one thats on ebay. What do you think?! x

yeahh looks alright :good:
Stig#17
I bought the bike as a 'Category D' at 5 months old, The damage itself was on the left wing mirror and brake handle (which I replaced with original parts) and a scratch on the side. The scratch has taken of the paintwork and but has not dented the bike itself, this is the only damage on the bike as well as a couple of minor surface scratches.
beware the 3rd one as theres no way an insurance company would write off a bike with that amount of cosmetic damage at 5 months old. Theres got to be more to it :scratch:
wobbly_trials#18
if it's not already been said, a good second-hand aprilia habana would be a nice scoot, with most of the depreciation gone and the parts backup already about.

More threads in The Workshop

Vespa ET2 electrical problems2 replies22 Jun 2010
neos 50 restriction removal16 replies22 Jun 2010
delly phbh 26mm base settings0 replies21 Jun 2010
Spark plug blown out cylinder while riding! Gutted tbh7 replies20 Jun 2010
speedfight, loud whining noise?3 replies19 Jun 2010
AEROX 100 BOGGING DOWN bad starter5 replies17 Jun 2010
50cc Piaggio zip problems4 replies17 Jun 2010
First ride on scoot, few problem can you solve?14 replies17 Jun 2010
Honda lead ingnition4 replies17 Jun 2010
First incident , First day4 replies16 Jun 2010