Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsThe Tuning CenterScooter Tuning

Aerox 50cc halp please

Discussion in Scooter Tuning started by barno, 28 Feb 2008
barno#1
Hi all newbie here,
i have had a look through the forum and am really confused now.
I have bought a 1998 50 cc Aerox and it had problems, it had the wrong exhaust fitted and was really flat when riding.
I have bought a Leo Vince TT pipe, a Doppler Boost Bottle and a Doppler reed valve and a Doppler filter which I have fitted. The exhaust came with some yellow clutch springs and some 4.3g 15 x 12 mm rollers which I also fitted. I have increased the main jet from 86 to 92as recommended by Doppler to go with the filter.
The problem I have is that the bike has an intermittant acceleration problem. Sometimes when I set off from a standing start or slow corner, it takes ages to accelerate, however sometimes it is ok, or not as bad. When it gets to its top end it is great 50+ so thats not a problem.
All my journeys are mostly stop and start so acceleration and mid range are more important than top end.
If anybody has any ideas as what could be wrong all help would be appreciated or if someone knows any tuners in the Manvhester area where I could take it to sort it out.
Cheers
nick#2
ive had a similar sort of problem with my scooter.

i took all my transmission apart today, and cleaned it all with brake cleaner, including the variaotr, rollers and clutch, then re assembled it, with a tinybit of lithium grease on the roller ramps (but you shouldnt really need to).

it seems okay at the minute, but im not sure whether it will hold up.

also your boost bottle is proberly doing bareley anything to help, but you have one now, so no harm done, and did you upjet for the exhaust also?
barno#3
Thanks for the reply, I have changed the main jet as I said from 86 to 92, is this what you mean. If not which other jet should I increase?
Crana#4
mines the same
J-Nitro#5
similar sort of setup to what my nitro was when I first bought a batch of tuning parts
the first month I had it the specs were

50cc, hebo vario, pipe, 4.1gram rollers and a couple of other visual thing i think

thing is with the filter on now your bike will be running pretty lean, i mean i stuck a 92 main jet in just for the pipe so if your going with a filter aswell you need to upjet the bike more a bit (if its an open filter that is), check the plug first of all but i probably can bet its running a tad lean

once youve up jetted say 5-8 sizes more double chek the jetting until you can get a nice choclate brown/whitey coffee colour that indicates thats near damn good

then the filter requires you to lighten your rollers in your variator a bit lighten them half a gram (12x15) std size like you said i belive so you want to be looking round 3.8 - 3.5 try that should notice a bit of difference
barno#6
Thanks for the replies I am going to try a biugger jet today as I have got some here I will order some lighter rollers as well and see how I get on with those.
Does lighter rollers give more acceleration?
nick#7
nnot exactly more acceleration, but it will be different.

as heavier rollers will roll out = faster putting it into a higher gear sooner at less rpm, whereras lighter rollers require more centrifugal force to move up the ramps, so in theory your accel will be slightly better, it will make the engine revv a bit more, using more power from the erformance bits, it should stay at around the same revvs from 5mph to 50mph or whatever.

also, if you have time ust take your tranny aart and give it a clean and ut it back together.
barno#8
Hi guys, sorry its been a while since I posted but I have been experimenting, I think I have cracked it now though.
Jet up from 86 to 92, bought a new Doppler variator with spring and have been playing withj the weights, the best so far seems to be 3 at 3g and 3 at 3.5g.
So once again thanks.
NJH#9
good for you :)
MiNoR cOnFuSiOn#10
so order 3.25's then

More threads in Scooter Tuning

Variator Troubles4 replies7 Mar 2008
scooter - attack rollers6 replies6 Mar 2008
Removal of Aerox Wheel Bearings3 replies6 Mar 2008
is this a decent bore kit11 replies6 Mar 2008
will it fit2 replies5 Mar 2008
50 cc Ovetto1 replies4 Mar 2008
aerox open air filter8 replies4 Mar 2008
gilera engines23 replies4 Mar 2008
Which colour springs for Runner 50.0 replies4 Mar 2008
Some setup help please? (Need advice.)8 replies4 Mar 2008