Zip 2T losing power

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Saracen, May 8, 2018.

1. Saracen

Saracen Member

Hi,
    Apologies if this should have been posted in the tuning section.
    Goes well on the flat and downhill but from mid revs on and especially uphill the power and revs fall off.
    Starts well, plug looks OK (dry with light brown deposit). I've cleaned the carb and that seems alright except for the main jet which is indicated, 53. My Haynes manual specifies 56.
    Regarding existing tweeks, all I have come discovered so far is that the restricting spacer near the variator has gone as well as the emissions pipes from the original exhaust.
    Being an old timer, I am not looking for performance just a reliable and smooth ride.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Well maintained? Sounds like a roller problem to me

3. Saracen

Saracen Member

Hi Sam,
    Thanks for your response.
    It was definitely not well maintained. When I bought the Zip, the service book was present and there was not one service slip signed.
    When I had took variator cover off, the inside was a mess. So I gave it a good clean, checked it over and fitted new rollers. I fitted new 6.5 gm rollers as recommended by the chaps at Pedparts.
    The problem was also evident before I opened up the variator cover.

4. Saracen

Saracen Member

Hi,
    As things are not improving I think I will buy a larger jet anyway, at least a 56, as specified. Not sure though whether I need 5 or 6mm jets for my Dollorto PHVA 17.5 carb?
    Also struggling checking the needle setting as the cable is held in by a method that I am unfamiliar with. Apparently I need to pull some slack and get the nipple into the adjacent hole to release. Problem is that I get that far only for the bloomin' cable to slide straight back into the original hole again. Has anyone encountered this problem before?
    Thanks.

5. Saracen

Saracen Member

Hi,
    Progressing slowly to solve the problems.
    When I phoned Pedparts to order the larger jet, the guy I spoke with advised that I check transmission thoroughly, in the first instance. So I had to tackle the dreaded large nut under the clutch bell. Checked youtube and found the following short video.

Worked a treat.

Specifically, my issues are that at higher throttle the engine will not rev out, it's like a limiter cuts in and is a real pain when tackling hills. The secondary problem is that I seem to need highish revs to pull away (perhaps thats just Zips, I don't know).

I have checked the clutch mechanism and the only potential problems I came across was that the clutch bell is quite blue, perhaps got a little too hot at some time, The bell diameter measures quite good though.
    Also the belt is short compared to the standard ones. My belt is only 713mm and the normal stock belts are over 730mm.

I have attached a pic to show the clutch bell, also the little tool I made up to lock the large spanner.
    Got lucky with the spanner, I had a really old 3/4 Whitworth relic that I filed for about five minutes for a good fit (the nut being 34mm across the flats)

[​IMG]

Any advice would be welcome.
    Graham

6. Sam phantom

Hi graham I’ve been racking my brains to try and think what it must be but that clutch bell has at some point got very hot. that’s a lot of blueing, the brakes not binding ? And clutch opens and closes smoothly ? Gear box shaft turns smoothly by hand ? I’d def get the correct size belt if you can

7. Sam phantom

For £60 you can get a complete mollosi multivar kit.. they do wonders for the drive, it will keep maximum power at any given speed/rpm

I had flat spots all over the place with my bike! was poor up hills ect ect.... got my self a mutivar and I haven’t looked back it’s quick of the line mid range has plenty of pull and top speed is great

I also got a new standard clutch and mollosi belt to fit while I was there as there cheap

Use thread lock on the variator nut

8. Saracen

Saracen Member

Morning Sam,
    Thanks for your advice, I wish such problems would be straight forward.
    I'll check out the brakes and gear shaft, ideal time to do so with the clutch stripped out. I'm with you about that belt and the clutch bell is bugging me. All the parts are on the bench so I will give the clutch a good clean and check the operation.
    In the meantime I'll take a close look at the Mollosi kit, many people online are full of praise with that upgrade.
    I'm becoming quite familiar with the transmission and certainly learning, which can't be bad.
    Graham

9. Sam phantom

The mollosi kit just avoids the need to keep swapping out rollers to find the sweet spot, it’s all set up perfectly for your bike :)

10. Saracen

Saracen Member

Thanks Sam,
    I've managed to get in touch with the chap I bought the Zip from. He used to sell and repair scooters and bikes and kindly offered to help me with a diagnosis, if he can. Going to contact him in the next day or so.
    Fingers crossed.
    Graham

11. Saracen

Saracen Member

Hi,
    Spoke to the guy I purchased the Zip from, explained the problems and he suggested politely that I try the original rollers.
    Tried this and the scoot is running smoother, taking away easier and certainly behaving better uphill. The new rollers I fitted were 6.5 gms and the originals, that have now been reinstated, weighed in at 7.5gms.
    I've decided to run it for a while and ,if I feel the need, I may perhaps tweak the rollers some more.
    Thanks,
    Graham

12. Sam phantom

That’s good news As I said before graham if you want it perfect get the mollosi mutivar,

13. Saracen

Saracen Member

Thanks Sam,
    I've got the Mollosi Multivar in my sights.
    Thanks