Scooter Shack Scooter Forum
The UK's biggest automatic scooter forum.
Scooter Shack is now a read-only archive. Over 20 years of scooter knowledge (2006–2026) is preserved here. New posts, replies and accounts are closed.
ForumsMain Scooter TopicsGeneral Scooter Discussion

Yamaha YN50 Neos Restricted?

Discussion in General Scooter Discussion started by Sarah-lou-2, 21 May 2009
Sarah-lou-2#1
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I'm thinking of buying a 2003 Yamaha YN50 Neos for my 16 year old. I know he can only ride a moped that goes no faster than 50kph (31mph), but the guy selling it says he gets 45mph out of it. Would it have been restricted when it was bought new, meaning that he must have had it de-restricted?

I've read some reviews from people saying they get 45mph from theirs even though they are still restricted. If that's true, they can't possibly be legal for 16 year olds.

I'm really confused and don't know whether or not it is suitable for him. I don't want to buy it then have to get work done to make it legal for him.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
bait#2
yup its derestricted but dont worry too much about the legal side as just about no 1 has a restricted 50 so long as he doesnt act like a fool on it he will be fine ps i dont think it will actualy do 45 clock speed lies will probably b closer 2 35
bertie#3
Pretty much NO 16 year olds have restricted mopeds, 99% are de-restricted. Basiclly yes you can get away with it as long as your not caught doing over 30mph infront of police!
Burns#4
he can still ride it at 16 with it being de-restricted, if anythingthere safer de-restricted! helps you keep up with the traffic lol
bertie#5
Yea much safer de-restricted, in todays world nobody drives at 30mph even elderly people are speedy sometimes.. I once drove a restricted NRG power and it was dangeriously slow! got overtaken by EVERYONE even push bikes!

More threads in General Scooter Discussion

engine clean and colour1 replies25 May 2009
gilera runner 125 and 180cc different carbs??13 replies24 May 2009
mate reckons speedfight going 55mph flat .. 75mph downhill4 replies24 May 2009
Pre-Mix Carb1 replies23 May 2009
epic fail!!!!!!!!!!3 replies23 May 2009
Aprilia sr50 lc carb / fuel injection?4 replies21 May 2009
CBT10 replies20 May 2009
Anyone knows about this one?4 replies19 May 2009
my zip has no kick start2 replies19 May 2009
Where to get a Gilera 125?16 replies18 May 2009