Yamaha xmax 250 2008 starting issues

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Gintaras, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras New Member

Hi,

My xmax 250 sometimes wont start. When I turn the egnition on engine managment light flashes... one long flash and two shorter one.. when this happens it wont start, just makes one click noise and that is it... after some time and turn ignition on and there is no fault and scooter starts...

maybe somebody knows what sort of issue it my be... battery is fine (checked with tester and show 12.5 V).

Thanks

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    if its like other yamahas ie the raptor and likes.....

the first long flash = 1
    two shorter flashes = 2

the raptor flashers are like above , two long short flashes followed by say four rapid short flashes would denote an error code of 24.

engine management error code 12 . you need to find the xmax 250 service manual to decode those error codes that will lead you to the problem, the other way is popping to a yam dealerhsip and have them pluging in and reading the ecu error code thats been stored

3. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

On the Majesty error code 12 is crankshaft position sensor.

4. Gintaras

Gintaras New Member

Thanks. Is it difficult to replace crankshaft position sensor? And why problem happens only time to time... if sensor is faulty it should be faulty all the time...

5. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    majesty could be a different code to the one the xmax is showing.

you really need the owners manual as that will give you the fault codes your seeing and tell you what they are. if not the only other place is a yamaha dealer, they will plug the xmax into a diagnostic tool and read the code then look it up in there little book of code faults and tell you the problem.

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

It's the same engine but yes before spending any money get it checked.
    It shouldn't cost a lot to get it checked on a diagnostic.
    Possibly it's a faulty connection?
    If the code wasn't flashing I would say you have a starter circuit problem either the starter solenoid or a lead needing cleaned.
    As a matter of interest the workshop manual says the battery should be a minimum of 12.8v?
    How old is the battery?
    I have known cars where if it doesn't sense a certain voltage the ECU plays up.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Gintaras

Gintaras New Member

Battery is about 5 months old... yesterday it wasnt starting and light was flashing so i tried to move all the wires I could see under the storage and then it started... not sure if that helped or there was something else....

8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Sounds as if you are on the right track as it's an intermittent fault.
    Possibly a connection that goes to the sensor is not quite "clean" and the ECU is picking up a phantom fault i.e. the sensor is fine it's the wiring.
    All I can suggest is that you unplug as much of you can in that area and check all contacts .
    Especially the ones going to the ignition switch.
    Usually if you unplug/plug the connectors a few times it cleans them up and you get good contact again.

9. Gintaras

Gintaras New Member

Thanks. Will try to do this... hope it will work :)

10. RiOs

RiOs New Member

HI man I have the same problem you fix it??? And how???