yamaha rxs 100cc cafe racer project

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by lee mason, Apr 18, 2013.

1. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    actually looks better than I thought it would, I reckon itd look better with some smaller indicators though, you going to put some padding over where you actually sit or you goin to leave as is ?

2. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    going to have very thin padding as atm when i break i slide and to find eletrics for it like indicators and lights is a pain cause its 6 volt but im trying to find some and as im not to sure wheather i like the seat im gunna finish it off and if i dont like it ill put it back to standard

3. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    so ive put the original seat back on as i didnt like the cafe look after all

4. Cockers

Cockers I hate speedfights

Convert it to 12v! :p few people with rxs I've seen do that and said its been much better! less strain on the old 6v systems! loads of videos on youtube for it!

5. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    ive seen the how to do guid for that on yammy100 but i hate working on eletrics and im thinking of possibly selling it soon as i should be starting a new job soon and after riding a yzfr125 the other day i really want one of those but i might keeep the rxs if i get one and just fully restore it

6. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    got a few possible problems its started smoking on start up (white smoke) and using a fair bit of oil (a liter in a week) and as i had the gearbox oil changed a week ago the mechanic noticed it smet like i had petrol in my gearbox and i could have a leaky crank seal but the engine still runs fine and dose 70mph with ease. if it is the crank seal i will get full rebuild of the engine and at the same time will be stripping the whole bike and painting frame and panles ect

7. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    also dose anyone know if it is my crank seal?? and if not the seal what it could be ??

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  8. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    had a fair bit of hassle with it lately, it spat the spark plug out the other day taking the threads that hold it in with it so it had to have a sleeve made and fitted into the head so the spark plug could hold in which all in all cost £50 to have done, after talking to the mechanic it turns out it has most of the engines seals strting to go it needs a new clutch and the gearbox is getting a pain in the arse so its not looking cheap but as it still running although very rough it is most probaly getting a full engine rebuild this winter and a new cluch as well as the frame resprayed and the panles and tamk resprayed as it fell off it side stand snapped my clutch cable and dented my tank so not sure weather to do all this work oe just buy a new bike :-(

9. Cockers

Buy a new bike and have a winter rebuild haha! unlucky to hear mate seems we're all having problems

10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    White smoke could be symtomatic of:-
    #1 piston rings worn or broken (oil in combustion chamber)
    #2 cylinder cracked/worn/scored
    #3 oil pump operation incorrect
    #4 deposits in exhaust system (particulary if mostly short trips with some long
    then thrown in).

11. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    1,2,3 are fine but i do mainly do short trips and the occasional long trip and thrash it in every gear everywhere but i think i might fully restore it as i figure if i spend the money now and rebuild it and look after it in a few years time when it more rare and collectible ill make my money back

12. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Could be #4 then as with the short blasts as things settle an with your long
    temps.up an your burning it off.,
    Have'nt got a clue 'bout your crank-seal as never had a stroker long enough,
    Used to work so's never had one too long 'fore my genteel riding style completely
    f....d them up!. :D .

13. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    just looked on ebay and parts for the engine rebuild will only be about £150 but to get the cylinder re-bored and all the parts fitted im not thinking labours going to be cheap but hoping it wont cost any more than £350 finished

14. Cockers

do you not fancy tackling the rebuild yourself mate? be an excellent learning curve!

15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I/BX.,
    If you have a recce you could probably pick up a complete runner,the upgrade kit,
    have patiencr an get a cheap hack in the meanwhile taking the pressure off,
    crack the 'ol knuckles and take your time and really have at it,
    An once you've done all the work........... :D :D :D .

16. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    i
    im going to do most the work a part from the bottom end its self ill be taking engine out to get redone buy a proffesional but the rest ill do my self but the mechanic is a good freind of my dads and he loves old yamahas so hes going to do it cheap ish for me

17. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Wicked idea!,
    Especially if you picked up a comparable bike,
    to rebuild if 1st gets ckd up!.,
    the 2nd being a learn from your mistakes version. :) .

lee mason likes this.
  18. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    i would like to do it all myself but i just want it done 1 time and the right way tbh

19. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Get ya on that,
    Fair confident putting a geared engine together,
    but would have no probs.putting in the hands of a
    professional who not only does it for a living.......
    but enjoys an loves working on certain types - be surprised
    how rare/few there are instead of just considering it a job.

P.S.,
    I'd muller you if I was on a gp100. :p .

lee mason likes this.
  20. lee mason

lee mason Active Member

Rides:
    suzuki rg125 gamma
    haha not at the minuet aslong as im in front for a few secs the smoke would cause you to crash