Yamaha Neos 50cc build

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by BunnyMum, Jan 23, 2017.

1. BunnyMum

BunnyMum BunnyMum (aka Northcust)

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    i think the tubing is 30x30mm and about 2-2.5mm wall thickness. There's some smaller (15mm) square verticals to join it to the frame up by the old suspension mount to keep things rigid too.

yes about that

2. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    Few pics from recent progress...

Been working on trying to get it as "together" as possible, all trim, bodywork and stuff, before putting the floor bars on to get the best idea of how to do them. I think know what I'm supposed to be doing and now just have to actually get them in. Hopefully I'l get into that this week, weather permitting.

The back rides up when there's no weight on it which makes it look a little odd, but when you're on it, it all lays flat and lines up right. Last pic is with me on it and both the rear mudguard and the exhaust come into alignment. It's very, very long for a scooter but looks to be headed the sort of direction I was hoping.

20180414_163311_www.jpg

20180414_163413_www.jpg 20180414_163044_www.jpg 20180414_163318_www.jpg
    20180414_143805_www.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    CGC and Sam phantom like this.
  3. kp46

kp46 Member

Rides:
    YAMAHA AEROX
    this looks amazing.

BunnyMum likes this.
  4. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
  5. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    frame bars - *finally* \o/

The rear mounting isn't pretty but it'll hold them in place till i figure out a neater solution. In these pics I've taken one of the rear shocks off so it sits level as it would with rider on rather than riding up like it did in the previous pics.

i now cannot move.

20180418_194353_www.jpg

20180418_193616_www.jpg

20180418_193533_www.jpg

I'd also quite like to get some of this going on (the green lightning bit) particularly on the back. I might have figured out a way to achieve something along these lines without adding any rotating weight at the outside of the rim like the tyre-valve ones you can get on ebay do.

possibly something with green leds projecting outwards reflecting off the dish of the rim, activated by motion switch etc. I need to test but I think it's doable. the idea would be that it only activates momentarily when you gun it (like in the film) so batteries should last a reasonably long time.

kaneda_streaks.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  6. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    got the first couple of cross-structs cut and tacked in place. These should form the support for the checkerplate foot-plate. They're only little bars but for some reason took a long time to shape so that they fitted properly.

There's currently a box-section beam which is supporting the back of the frame bars which is going to be replaced with something a bit more elegant, or at least tidied up, but I haven't decided on how yet.

I think the next step is probably to un-melt the starting part of the wiring loom, and make sure she still runs. I think the problem last time was that the fuel wasn't getting into the carb because of the reduced tank height or something. It sits quite a bit lower because of the stretch.

20180507_181034_www.jpg

20180507_181106_www.jpg

7. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

:rolleyes:Looking good bunnymum!! Hurry up and finish it lol and post glossy photos

BunnyMum likes this.
  8. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    ugh - sorry for not posting, a friend got really sick and it sorta took over my life for the last few months, and now I'm exhausted as a result. He just finished radiotherapy now so hopefully a bit more chill/scooter time for me.

I've been doing little bits here and there but only just had the time/energy to actually do the bits rather than then photograph and post about them.

Scooter now runs and starts as it should and is starting to look a bit like a scooter. I'm working on getting the front brakes functional so I can take it for a little test spin up a private road or something just to check it drives/rides reasonably properly.

Next step seems to be making the checkerplate bits for the fairing.

9. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    so - little bits of progress... I've acquired some checkerplate tiles from a friend's bathroom floor (with his permission) and started seeing if/how it might go together. I'd like to extend it futher back and further forward (up the curve of the bars to stop spray etc) but these are the key bits.

It'll need some extra support bits adding and I haven't had the spoons to do that yet but it's next on the list.

Also - I fixed the front brake so was able to take it for a little test run up and down the drive. Obviously cables and crap hanging out everywhere but it moved under its own steam for the first time since the stretch, which is significant progress.

The steering felt a bit weird, like if you got off centre it would tend to pull to that side. It seems like a rake/trail thing based on the adjusted geometry so I might have to flip the fork legs around and see if that helps. Wasn't a complete surprise...

20180827_191446_www.jpg

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Still got this? Im thinking of doing air ride on my next build. *cough* bagger *cough* cub....

BunnyMum likes this.
  11. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    heya, yeah I have actually... my friend was ill most of last year which kinda meant I had other things to deal with but I'm working on improving the working space so that I can get it finished.

bagger cub would be sick :)

I think if doing over I'd go with an air-ride bag from a car, it seems like the approach i was using didn't have enough diameter of the cylinder so it struggled a bit with a person's weight on it, but with enough stretch you'd have space for a bag. At the moment it's on springs and has two shocks on the rear because of the flatter angle but sits nice when I'm on it. I think it might be possible to add air back into the mix...I nearly had it working before but on it's own it wasn't quite strong enough, but with the assistance of a regular shock it might be ok.

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Cub is twin shock, im worried it will be too stiff, but I guess less pressure means "softer"

BunnyMum likes this.
  13. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    ok well tbh I don't really know what sort of arrangement you're planning on using but I guess twin shock should mean you've got more "lifting opportunities" than the single shock on the neos.

I just remembered the other thing I was a little unhappy with re the system I set up was that it needed to run super high pressure, and tbh I wasn't comfortable with that, plus the little compressor took ages to get to that pressure, so again an airbag like from a car's air-ride might mean you only need to run more like 60psi instead of 150 or whatever ridiculousness I ended up with.

scubabiker likes this.
  14. Neil030912

Neil030912 Member

Stevep give me a message wen ur free please

15. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    first time I've been able to work on the scoot for a while, was just trying to see sorta where I got up to and check it still runs etc, which it does \o/. Remembered to drain the carb this time and she fired right up.

This is how she's looking - sorry for the terrible pic. New phone, camera sucks.

IMG_20190428_172220_www1024.jpg

I feel like the lines of it are actually coming together nicely this time. Tapering the vertical bars inwards made all the difference so was worth the hassle i think.

It does still look a bit odd when parked since there's no weight on the back and it pops up a bit, but when you're sat on it all the lines are as they should be...like a long, low land-sled or something :)

I've just done new brake levers on my yamaha daily bike and I think they might fit on these mounts which would be nice since this is a bit of an odd set. I'm sure the brake lever is shorter than it should be.

Oh I rode it too! After the first test where the steering felt weird I guess I flipped the forks round at some point but never tested it out. Today I ziptied all the cables and the battery etc down and gave it a little blast up the drive a few times just to get an idea of how it moves. I've not taken it for a whizz up the road yet but I don't think we're far off being able to do so.

It's surprisingly keen to go, which I like. and it does burnouts lol, so, good start :) The steering feels way better now too so I can stop worrying about that.

IMG_20190428_153503_www1024.jpg

IMG_20190428_153511_www1024.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    milo2025 and scubabiker like this.
  16. Lukash

Lukash Member

Rides:
    SR125
    This project is incredible, happy to see it's still alive!

BunnyMum likes this.
  17. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    thank you :)

18. pupo-cro

pupo-cro New Member

This is a badass Neos. Nice project indeed.

BunnyMum likes this.
  19. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    This is still happening \o/ - bit more of a thorough catch-up video of what's been done recently:

20. apriliars250

apriliars250 Member

Awesome project I'm going to have a proper read later

BunnyMum likes this.