Yamaha Neos 50cc build

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by BunnyMum, Jan 23, 2017.

1. BunnyMum

BunnyMum BunnyMum (aka Northcust)

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    I've sent the ebay seller a message with a link to the youtube video - waiting to hear back what they say now...{holds breath}

2. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

Love what you've done with the rear wheel. The Neos is a great lil scoot, have one myself -- goes like stink for what it is!

Although unfortunately it's time to say goodbye to it because I'm in need of something a big bigger because it struggles a bit with my commute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BunnyMum likes this.
  3. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    thank you! yeah I've kinda fallen in love with the neos (and yams in general) and it seems pretty perky from the little I've seen so far. Once I'm CBT'd-up I'll be tweaking it to go faster too ;)

your pics aren't showing up - wanna try re-uploading them?

4. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

It's a great little ped, a lot you can do to make it faster and the best thing is that the parts are dirt cheap :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BunnyMum likes this.
  5. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    so that's what they look like all in one piece then...cool! Mine arrived in "kit form" pretty much so I've yet to see it all together ;)

yours is a nice and clean bike, lovely colour too :cool:

I'm twitching to stretch it tho lol.

6. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

It'd be an awesome looking bike stretched and with a big bore & gear up kit it'd probably be a mini beast in it's own right. Defo going to be a first!

Cheers! It was a bit tacky when I first got it but I've done a bit of work to make it nicer. Had been sitting in a garden for 3 or so years - even had it's own little spiders nest lol.

BunnyMum likes this.
  7. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    cheers, I hope so since that's pretty much the plan :D My jog has what looks like a 70cc kit on it whcih will get swapped on eventually but till I get CBT'd I can't ride over 50cc so it'll have to stay as is for now (boo!)...soon though ;)

mrburns_excellent.jpg

8. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

Even with the standard cylinder, 5.5g rollers and a good pipe they go like stink. Hopefully that 70cc kit you have laying around is already ran in, heard it can be a very tedious process to run in a big bore on a 50 :( You shall have to keep us all updated, this looks like it's gonna be awesome

BunnyMum likes this.
  9. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    that's good to hear :) (re going like stink) and yeah fingers crossed re the 70cc kit. I'll deffo be posting updates..

10. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

Just out of curiosity, what reg is your Neos?

11. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    2002 or 2003 I think...

12. mrpetrepp

mrpetrepp Member

Similar to mine then - 54 plate here.

13. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    yeah all the bits look the same as far as I can tell...think I got lucky when I bought it tbh. The 2002-3 seems to have been a good time for them. Lots of cheap bits too :D

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If you're going to tune the neos:

17.5mm dellorto
    Carbon Reeds
    Open filter for the summer months, double foam road filter for the rest of the year
    Athena Pro aluminium 70 kit
    Multivar variator
    4.6gr rollers
    Sports pipes, take your pick really
    Kevlar belt.

Once you've jetted the carb right, try and keep the front end on the floor.......................;)

15. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    Thanks steve, we're a way of tuning it yet as I'll need to have my CBT first...also keeping the nose down shouldn't be a problem since it'll be stretched, but I like the idea of it being a stretched out little rocketship ;)

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Quote: keeping the nose down shouldn't be a problem since it'll be stretched,

Didn't they used to say that about drag cars? "The front won't come up, it's too long".......................:rolleyes:

17. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    hehe well I'd be *very* happy to be proven wrong there ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  18. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    So the ebay adapter is on it's way back - the ebay seller was ok with the return and we agreed to refund rather than send a replacement since the chances are a replacement wouldn't be any better than the first one.

Kinda scary though that a device which is *so* far out of whack is considered "ok" to sell (by the manufacturer, the ebay seller wouldn't have known there was an issue) yet imho would be quite dangerous to use as is..and it kinda puts into perspective my approach to tolerances etc since the last adapter I made is *considerably* better than this bought one. Makes me wonder how many of the stretched scoots I see have wonky wheels.

Next up I need to send my argon canister back for a refill and then I can get on with the stretch kit for this bike..

19. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    been dancing around this for long enough and finally got some scooter time today, so got stuck in...

as it was..
    20170430_122709_www.jpg

back end off, trying to figure out the positioning of things..
    20170430_160952_www.jpg
    20170430_161122_www.jpg

I couldn't get my head around it initially. There seemed to be space to fit everything neatly but somehow I just couldn't "see" it in my head. Until I propped a wheel up in place and then it all clicked.

Yessss! Now *that* is more what I'm aiming for.. (but obviously stuck together)
    20170430_163844_www.jpg

This time around I'm trying to get it quite a bit lower than when I stretched the jog, and also trying to get the back wheel fully behind the bike like the japanese "big scooter" style modified scoots (which I like a LOT) so it'll be a slightly longer stretch than the jog. Dropping it that low makes the whole frame noticably more "leaned back" and means the bars sit/suit better (imho).

I've not done the maths yet re rake & trail, but if having it so low ends up with the steering not feeling right then I'm thinking possibly do what I've seen on one of the other stretched yamahas (pic below) where they look to have flipped the fork legs round which moves the axle in front of the fork leg and should reign in the trail a bit if it's too much. Tbh I'm not really aiming for super-maneuverability, I'd rather it's stable at high-speed so it might not be an issue.

taiwanese_yamaha_stretched.jpg

Annoyingly the motor and box on this scoot are overall not in quite as good shape as the jog, but I *know* they run so am reluctant to use the bits off the other bike. Also the main engine mount bolt isn't separating from the tube it sits in so I'm going to have to stretch using the "pre" mounts.

It should actually work out slightly better since it'll mean the stretch frame shouldn't foul the carb etc like it did on the Jog (which then needed the carb relocating) but it means the stretch-frame will be a bit more complex which is annoying since complexity adds scope for it not ending up square/aligned right. So it's a bit of a mixed blessing in all but I'd still obviously rather it all came apart nicely. The kickstand bolt was also totally seized (did you ever get yours loose Tamiya?). Again, not really a problem as I wasn't planning on using a stand anyhow but still annoying hiccup. I suppose it means I have something I can weld little feet to so that it rests nice & stable when aired-down.

While it was in bits just out of curiosity (and given the amount of offset using the mini-classic rim) I tested out how it might sit with a 15"x7 golf rim and actually it fit a lot better than I thought it would. Realistically the 15" is a bit tight but perhaps a 14"x7 might be workable, and the offset seems a bit better than with the mini rim. Noted for future reference ;)

20170430_191959_www.jpg
    20170430_192020_www.jpg

20. BunnyMum

Rides:
    YZF-R125 (180cc)
    had a super productive day yesterday - the stretch frame on this one has been a bit of a head-scratcher but it's finally taken shape. It's not like there's anything amazingly different/more complex than the one for the jog, but it's been lots of little annoying things...like the main logitudinal struts of the frame have to slim down at the ends so they fit into the mounts on the frame, where when using the other mounting bolt it didn't matter...

Also with having the engine offset slightly there's been more issues with carbs, throttle cables etc potentially getting fouled by bits of metal.

*However*, I have worked through it, the basic frame is built. It's currently in two parts - the bit which does the stretch and the bit which holds the engine (and will attach to the stretch bit).

Once I have finally decided on what hub/adapter arrangement I'm using and hence what offset I'll need I'll sticko-extra the two halves together in such a way that the wheels line up properly, then reinforce the join with gussets and such.

Although this approach has been quite a bit more complex from a fabrication/details point of view, I do actually think it's a better solution than the stretch frame I did for the jog. Somehow it just fits more snugly with the lines of the frame and even though it's a longer stretch (~18" vs 12" on the jog) it just seems to fit nicer overall and somehow be less obviously a stretch frame.

Somehow it all just lined up nicely too - there's no big gaps between the seat bucket/potty and the engine - I always think that looks a bit naff on the super-stretched ruckus scooters when there's yards of empty space under the seat for no apparent reason so I'm pleased that's not the case here.

Also due to using the other mounting points for the stretch frame the longitudinal beams are a bit wider apart so I don't have to relocate the carb on this one...and it all sorta just *fits*. Also because of using these mount points the longitudinal beans go either side of the potty rather than under it so I think it's gonna end up being able to go quite a bit lower than I had expected which makes me very happy (I want it low as possible :cool: ).

That being said - at the moment it just looks like some big metal monster has eaten most of my bike.... :eek:

20170504_170330_www.jpg
    20170504_170300_www.jpg
    20170504_170319_www.jpg
    20170504_170247_www.jpg

In terms of general lowness/stance I'm aiming for somethign along these lines...though a bit more stripped down in terms of body panels etc

japanese_big_scooter_style_stretched.jpg

p.s. on a side note, with the engine so far offset (and inspired by one of the twin-cylinder builds on here) I would say there's almost room to fit another cylinder alongside the current one...so maybe that's a project for once I've got my CBT and can ride over 50cc. I'm thinking 2x50cc would perhaps mean I could run a tiny turbo too. That fecker would *shift* :cool:

Last edited: May 5, 2017