yamaha jog r 50cc lost spark

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by joet2668, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    White and yellow/red are the AC wires then. Check those and see what the maximum AC voltage is when you rev the engine up.

2. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    It says 1.5v and goes up to 2v

3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    2 volts? Something is amiss there :confused: . What voltage is coming off the DC side of the rectifier then?

4. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    Apparently nothing:/ the light on the display was just flashing too, is that because my front lights are unplugged?

5. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Which light are we talking about? My TKR just has main beam, oil warning and indicator lights, no other warning lights.

6. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
  7. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    It's not in the best condition either

8. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    My high beam

9. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    I'm more concerned that you've only got 2v AC or so coming out of the charging side of the stator. That's at least 15v short of what it should be and it's hinting that the stator is knackered. The 2v it's putting out is being used by by the rectifier trying to turn it into 12v. Check for any suspect wiring on the wires from the rectifier down to the stator and it's worth you starting to hunt around for a new stator, unless you find something obvious in the wiring.

BunnyMum likes this.
  10. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    Okay thanks again, you're a lot of help

11. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    Although it could be me not reading the multimeter correctly because it doesn't show decimal places:/

12. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    Or I'm not testing it properly, I'm not the best with this stuff

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

It could be 20volt and your misrreading it, best to get a second pair of eyes

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Your exhaust is a technigas silent pro by the way, I fitted one yesterday

15. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    Yea I just don't like it, I suppose I could spray it. I'll look for a decent multimeter and have another go

16. Fabian

Fabian New Member

hey guys.... i think i might have a huge problem.... i dealing here with a yamaha jog coolstyle... no spark issue....
    i have somany questions.. that i dont know were to begin... i tested the coil with a meter on ohm an it beaps an gift about 0.06. i think that is a good thing right?
    i than whent to the stator and testet is.. but i have only 1 plug coming out of the stator... most of the film i saw on the internet show that there is more than one plug... one more thing .. i cant find the black box can i get some help..?

17. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    ok buddy the stator is behind the flywheel on the right side of the engine (looking from behind the scooter)

theres a black wire loom that comes from that side of the stator to a plug connector, that plug connector will have 2 -3 -4- 5 wires coming from it , those are the pickup signal wire - and the others will be the stators coil wires , usually they are a yellow in colour and you may find a green wire thats the ground, if you dont have a ground just put your negative probe from multimeter onto the scooters frame.

now to test the stator ........

unplug the stator from the main wire loom, you need to follow the cable coming from the stator side of the engine to the conenctor to the main loom ( the big connector - if you find two seperate wires on there own coming out of the stator loom leave them alone they are ignition ). unplug the stator from the main wire loom ....... plug your negative multimeter probe into the slot where the green wire is ( no green wire ground the neg probe to the scooter frame) now your going to take the positive probe and pop it into any of the yellow - white blue slots in the conector, set the multimeter to VAC and kickstart the scooter while looking at the multimeter read out, you should see over 12vac from that wire . now remove the positive probe and do it for the other wires and again kickstart bike .

if you see a very low voltage your stator is poorly and on its way out. but you should see a large voltage coming from that stator from those yellow - white blue wires. that tells you the stator is feeding a good voltage.

18. Fabian

Fabian New Member

hey guys.... i have a question.. my ride is a yamaha jog coolstyle sa16j..... under the seat there is a red looking box, i think thats to open the back cover by pushing the button on the key.... who can tell me how that box is named. and why is it so that this bike of mine needs to have a battery?

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Can you get a photo of the part you are talking about?

20. Fabian

Fabian New Member

not today my friend.. i will load it up sunday.... speak to yall then... chaw

scubabiker likes this.