yamaha jog r 50cc lost spark

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by joet2668, Feb 3, 2014.

1. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    It's a 2005 air cooled model, so what happened was I went to my friends house and left it for about 10 minutes and it wouldn't start so I tested for spark and there was nothing. After pushing it home and having a better look I replaced the spark plug but still nothing. My lecturer in college tested my coil and it had a bright blue spark, but it won't work on the bike. I changed the cdi but that did nothing. I'm looking for a new magnetic pick up or the full stator assembly now in the hope it works. Any other ideas what I could do? The wiring is fine to what I know but I just need some help. Thanks

2. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Check all electrical connections, particularly around the ignition switch, as you appear to have tested everything else. Check that all earth points are clean and connected, particularly around the coil.

BunnyMum likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Ive changed a few stators on them, at least 7 must be a common problem, check your main fuse first tho mate

4. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    hi guys, i decided to take the whole wiring loom out last night as there was no continuity between the cdi and ignition switch(brown wire). it turns out it was a break in the wire so i patched it up. thanks for all your help, if this happens again i'll be sure to double check the wiring. once again thanks:) im gonna change the rollers when they turn up to see if i get a bit more acceleration

BunnyMum likes this.
  5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Where was the break? Im guessing it was near where the wire goes under the foot board?

6. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    Yeah around about there, only thing now is my batterys not charging but I can cope with that

7. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Check the regulator/rectifier connections, as those are the ones that charge the battery. I'm glad that we identified where the original problem was as it all pointed towards the ignition switch wiring.

BunnyMum likes this.
  8. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    Me too, I'm glad its on the road, I'll looking into the charging system tomorrow so i'll keep you posted, thanks:)

9. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    I checked my battery and its running voltage is only 12v but its going up very slowly and that's only when I'm idling, when its reving higher the voltage drops to like 12v and sometimes under depending on how long I've been riding for. I didn't have time to check my regulator/rectifier but I do know it failed before as I went through bulbs like there's no tomorrow, I guess I should've replaced it at the time but it hasn't blown anything for months.

10. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    And the rollers added a massive 3mph!! acceleration seems better too:)

11. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Try changing the rectifier/regulator and see if that helps. They are known to fail.

BunnyMum and scubabiker like this.
  12. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    I will, thanks my next step is to get rid of the fire extinguisher and get a decent exhaust:)

13. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    (my exhaust is bright red)

Merlin likes this.
  14. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    If you know which are the AC voltage connections into the rectifier, you can check the incoming AC voltage and it should be something like 17 to 18 volts AC before the rectifier converts it to 13.8v DC.

Pictures, or it didn't happen! :D

15. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    I got a wiring diagram but to be honest I'm no good with electrics, I'll give it a go anyway, thanks

16. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    Whatever comes out of the rectifier as DC will be a red wire and an earth wire (green or maybe black). AC in is usually yellow and white wires (that's what they are on my TKR) or a colour that doesn't correspond with DC.

17. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    [​IMG]

BunnyMum and Merlin like this.
  18. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    My diagram says theres red, white, yellow/red and black wires going to the regulator/rectifier. The red wire goes to the ignition switch and battery. The white goes to the dc-cdi magneto. The yellow/red wire goes to the dc-cdi magneto too and the black is earth

19. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
  20. joet2668

joet2668 Member

Rides:
    yamaha jog r 2005
    I had around 2.5ac volts on each