Will pay to test ride this scooter

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GreenRanger, Mar 11, 2019.

1. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Ideally you should test ride them both. Personally I'd go for the 125 any day.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Your CBT allows you to ride any bike up to 125cc, so maximise it's usage, go 125.
    As scubabiker said, you won't notice the difference in weight and certainly won't notice the difference in handling.
    The plus side of 125 is MOST of them are 4 stroke engines and have more longevity to them provided they are serviced regularly, oil, filters and the like.
    50cc 2 strokes you look at changing the piston every 6ooo miles or so, plus the speed restriction is prohibitive and in my opinion dangerous as standard, and the main reason people tend to tune them is for more speed, which then turns into less reliability if not looked after.
    If you can't do your own maintenance then you will be paying the garage handsomely for his holidays.

milo2025 likes this.
  3. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I’ve looked up what car allows and I’m almost certain your only allowed to ride up to 49cc just in a cbt which is all I have.

125cc is coming sister a motorcycle for which you need a full licence.

4. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Someone has this beat to where I live. Left a note asking whether they would sell it to which they didn’t reply. Has an l sticker on it also but it’s a 125cc I think. Don’t like the rusty pipe or on the shocks so the scooter I would buy won’t have any rust.

Attached Files:

5. milo2025

CBT will allow you to ride a learner legal motorcycle up to 125cc, but L-plates must be displayed and you cannot take passengers. Your CBT must be renewed every two years.

6. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Ye sinkniw. As I have already said - I cannot use a 125cc even with l plates as I passed my cbt on 2009. But because I have a full driving licence I’m pretty sure I can ride a 50cc for the length of my car licence... so if I get the 125cc I will have to pass my full motorcycle licence.

7. milo2025

If that's correct then that really sucks. I didn't know they changed the law.

8. milo2025

I passed mine in 2002.

9. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Pretty sure it is but if anyone knows any different would be interested to know?

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Category M on your licence means 50cc moped

milo2025 likes this.
  11. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

There is no M category on my licence which only Am A1 A2 etc... am (which I have) allows me to:

Category AM
    You can drive 2-wheeled or 3-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph).

This category also includes light quad bikes with:

• unladen mass of not more than 350kg (not including batteries if it’s an electric vehicle)
    • maximum design speed of over 25km/h (15.5mph) but not more than 45km/h (28mph)

12. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

They changed it scuba to am with a code 122. The 122 means if you do a cbt you have what they call a full moped license so you can then ride a moped with no L plates and can carry a passenger

13. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Not sure whether you are allowed to carry a passenger u less you pass your full motorcycle licence.

All I know is that you can ride up to 49cc as for having l plates on the bike and carry a passenger in really not sure but I don’t think you can and I think l plates must be displayed.

14. Sam phantom

17713C2D-4212-439B-9ED3-03E3F9A848EE.jpeg

Stevep likes this.
  15. Sam phantom

16. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

So I don’t need l plates and can carry a passenger I dunno why but I haven’t seen that spider diagram anywhere on the site.

17. Sam phantom

It’s on the .gov web site i have just screen shot it for you above, have a look for your self if unsure

18. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Will do if I ever buy a scooter. Thanks for the info ppl.

milo2025 likes this.