Will pay to test ride this scooter

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by GreenRanger, Mar 11, 2019.

1. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The 50 and 125 are pretty much identical, the frame is nearly identical, its the motor that is different.
    I live in Norway, theft isn't really a problem here.
    But aprilia and pretty much most 50cc piaggio scooters are piss easy to hotwire. If someone wants your bike enough they will take it.
    The 50cc mojito sucks to work on as its all a bit tight, packed in, ive not really had much experience with the 125 ones, they have the leader engine if I recall?

2. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

It’s not just that though it’s the weight. The 125cc is considerably heavier so mobility will be noticeable I like the idea of a light scooter.

If that’s the case then I don’t see why I could put the 125cc engine in the 50 and have the best of both worlds.

It won’t be easy as I plan on having at least two heavy duty locks on different parts of the bike.

It sure what you mean by leader engine?

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The engine is the extra weight.
    You probably wont notice it though, they have a real low centre of gravity, like the weight is so low down.
    The leader engine is the 4t piaggio engine, same as runners, et4 etc etc

4. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I’m not too sure about that tbh.

I think I will tbh as the difference is quite a lot. I still want it to be as light as possible.

5. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

No, just because I've never done an engine swap on a mojito before. It should be fairly straightforward as the frames are basically the same. I'm going to ask a friend of mine who is an avid mojito fanatic. It's all possible, just depends on how much time and patience you have as well as technical ability. I find as I get older my time and patience wears thinner! :)

6. milo2025

(In response to that post)

7. milo2025

Sorry, I only just noticed these posts after I replied

8. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Thanks for that! If that's the case then i don't see why it wouldn;t work either. I wish i could fit it myself but i have never worked on a scooter before so i would have to pay for a mecanic to do it. Would love to learn how to work on a scooter myself but the only way i could learn is through youtube videos lol.

On an unrelated note this brand new peugeot jetforce was going for £950 and i reckon you could of got the seller down to atleast £900, not a bad deal at all:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-...Vd5QJKgmfU%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I also let a good deal on a mojito go from linkway scooters which i kinda regret now but a si said i really would prefer to test ride one first before actually buying one.

9. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

back to my original post, does anyone have o rknow someone that will let me test ride a 50cc aprillia mojito custom? £10 for whoever wants it!

10. milo2025

Love that Jet Force - would have been very tempted myself but looks like he sold it already. And yes, agreed it's always a good idea to try before you buy. YouTube vids can be very useful but if things don't go according to plan that's when the problems start!

11. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Just done some quick research and apprently the dry weights for the aprilia and typhoon are very close by approx 1-2kg difference although one site said the aprillia was 10kg heavier which actually sounds more correct imo becuas ethe bike does look heavier by about atleast that much. More sites have said the dry weight of the Aprilia is around 90Kg and the typhoon 88Kg.

Hope thats correct since lightness is what i want and the typhoon is a nice light scooter indeed so will be great to have this on the mojito.

Also the seat height on the mojito is shorter (75cm vs the typhoons 77.5cm, at lowest height) which suits be just fine as i am short. Does the aprilia suit the shorter rider better than the typhoon?

Also, what is manouvreability like on the aprilia as the tpyhoon is very good at this due to its lightness and small design, frame and wheels.

12. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Also, is there any difference between the 2001 nojito abd the newer one apart from the obvious different seat which i perosnally prefer the design of the older seat plus it look smore comfortable?

13. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Did this guy put a custom aligator/crock skin on his seat or is it just my eyes? If so i like it! Anyone know where i can get this done?

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Im telling you, putting a 125 motor in a 50 will make it the same weight as a 125....
    The engine is the difference.
    I don't know why you are so hung up on the weight, I have serious joint problems and have no problem riding any scooter. The weight is so low down you dont notice it

Sam phantom likes this.
  15. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

To each their own. I like lightness as it makes the scooter more mobile. As for the gines being the difference in weight it probably is that but i have looked it up and the engines look the same size and weight. I'm not disagreeing i am just stating whta i have found.

I may aswell go for the 125cc but i only have a cbt licence so will need to get a full licence which is more of a hassle.

16. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

The video i posted about the seat was the wrong video, my bad. Here is the correct one:

17. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The engines may look the same, but they are different weights.
    2 stroke has like 2 moving parts, piston and crank.
    4 stroke has way more, piston, crank, valves, cams, cam chain, oil pump etc etc, plus weight of the oil itself.

As per the seat,
    Ask a local fabric shop, they can probably order in something cool and hook you up with someone to upholster the seat.

18. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

Not sure what to do now whether i should go for the 125 or 50...

i have just messaged a local scooter company saying:

Hello,

If i were to give you £10 would it be possible to come and test ride the aprilia mojito custom 50 you have for sale and coudl you supply the helmet also?

I have a full cbt passed in 2009 and a full driving licence so i should be ok to quickly take it round the block and back? I am happy to leave with you my dricing licence and car keys.

Nick

i ighly doubt they will say yes but worth a try and tbh i don't see why not!

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I think most dealers do it for free.
    They did when I lived in the UK.
    Try some other bikes too. So you have something to compare to

20. GreenRanger

GreenRanger Member

I know but i don't feel confident that it's right to ask them if i can simply test ride thier bikes unless i'm buying it which i know isn;t right.

Anyway the person i messaged rpelied and said i cna test ride the mojito 50 just not on the road a si am not insured so i am not quite sure how that will work...