what tools do you use for working on your ped?

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by pete69zx, Dec 7, 2011.

1. nikkinorman

nikkinorman Member

Rides:
    Mk2 Zip 190
  2. steven

steven New Member

a hammer if nothing goes right?

ramo and Jonnymarrw00t like this.
  3. 4strokerunner2005

4strokerunner2005 Member

Rides:
    gilera vxr200
  4. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Looks like a makita rip off to me.

5. 4strokerunner2005

4strokerunner2005 Member

Rides:
    gilera vxr200
    Well at £64 with a years guarantee and then spare parts easily available thereafter im not worried about it breaking. You can pay around half than for a 12v one which will last less than 6 months, i should know iv had about 3 of them.

6. MoonDog

MoonDog Member

Rides:
    Honda Dylan 04
    So far.

I started with a £20 halfords socket set, 1 tub of copper grease, 1 tub of white grease, 1 tub of swarfega, 1 set of mole grips (very dangerous and very useful), and a screwdriver set i already had. I added to that a £35 14.4v cordless hammer drill (from homebase), an £8 socket to drill bit set (from ebay) so i could use the sockets with the cordless drill (cheap rattle gun), a couple of sockets and spanners mainly 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 2 big AJ wrenches, 1 extendable car wheel thing for sockets (no idea of its name, but it makes removing wheel nuts easy). The last purchase was a full 600w mains drill as i had need of drilling a bolt, and doing it on cordless takes to long. I also have various new screwdrivers, a multimeter, a mig welder, head torch, inspection led torch, mirror, probably other things i dont remember.

The things that i would say to buy if you are starting out. The £20 socket set, the drill/socket bits, the cordless drill, the copper grease, a small adjustable wrench, a large adjustable wrench, 1 set of mole grips, a wire brush and some good PPE (a cartridge respirator (i use the organic/inorganic vapour ones as i use it for welding/painting), a couple of cheap dust masks, goggles and a good pair of gloves). You could get away without the resp, drill, socket/drill bits, but they make life easier. Dont skimp on safety goggles or dust masks. You will eventually end up brushing rust off something metallic, if the part is old you might have lead or asbestos to deal with, i tend to use the resp for those jobs, but a p3 rated dust mask would probably suffice too. Getting metal bits in your eyes isnt pleasant, so goggles are a wise buy.

7. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I like working with a good radio!

turbovetto likes this.
  8. A-LY

A-LY Active Member

threadlock and grease!!!
    nothing worse than snapping a seized bolt, replacing it, and having it snap the next time you come to undo it

Jonnymarrw00t likes this.
  9. super9

super9 if you see blue lights "RUN"

Rides:
    70cc kymco super 9
    good ol inpact wrench for the clutch

MARSH likes this.
  10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Torque wrench.

MARSH likes this.
  11. fused420

fused420 New Member

Decent quality tools will last you a life time, but on top of an impact gun (un-doing), torque wrench (doing-up), etc, i would also recommend a heli coil kit, especially if you work on a lot of old bangers, lol

@4strokerunner2005 I have the same torque wrench, and i have to say its a brilliant bit of kit for the price. :)

12. scottyrunner

scottyrunner New Member

Snap on or Blue Point :p Brothers got an account with them and a full box of brand new stuff woop woop!

13. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    which he'll be paying for til he retires :(

14. scottyrunner

scottyrunner New Member

His account is down to just over £2000 now I think, not bad at all his box was £1200. Personally I would of just found any tool in the shed and used it till it snapped but hey ho he likes his tools :p

15. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    yeah. Roberts radio in the garage.
    Some tools I would not be without:
    my compressor & impact wrench
    Clutch spanners for taking apart the rear spring torque corrector
    The piece of plywood with a hole in it for putting them back together hands free
    Buzetti universal ignition bell/ rotor remover
    buzetti graduated micrometer for setting ignition advance
    pressure testing equipment for checking if the engine is air tight.
    Cylinder hone
    dremel
    Glass plate & emery paper with a can of spray-mount. For resurfacing heads etc
    digital scales (to 100th of a gram) for rollers
    Digital calipers
    Multimeter
    drills
    taps & dies
    Sealant
    quiksteel
    JB Weld
    Spanish radio stations that dońt talk or have adverts.

16. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'm with Super 9 and Mark Emerson, I love my snap-on rattle gun and 3 torque wrenches of different parameters, I'm looking to buy a 4th torque wrench, 0-25 Nm range. Oh and my tin of copper/ally slip.

17. turbovetto

turbovetto Well-Known Member

Rides:
    tweaked ovetto
    i like Facom but it's expensive stuff. But guaranteed for life.
    i forgot one very useful tool. Light ! I have a fluorescent tube from a shop display which i can poke around in nooks & crannies. saved my bacon no end of times.

18. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Artery Forceps, strangely useful tools, clamps up oil and fuel pipes, compresses daft spring clips, picks up things in awkward places. Got a few pairs some straight some curved.

Good thread, got some added to my wish list already, especially that electric impact wrench, air ones such a hassle even with a compressor at home.

19. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Do or die!!,
    Your ride = home tools/otr tools;).......

20. sean85730

sean85730 Member

Rides:
    Pulse lightspeed 2
    I always ALWAYS have a small toolkit in the bike, and a selection of common spares (belt, throttle and speedo cable, spark plug and fuses) a decent combination ratchet and screwdriver set save a good bit of room on the bike, workshop wise, I have a range of good tools, for holding variators and clutch covers and such, I made a holding tools, 2 lengths of 20x4MM bar, with a pair of 7MM bolts through one end, the short length is maybe 250MM, the long one near 400MM, where they meet to form a Y shape, they are bolted together so they can be used on anything like that...

Sean