What to keep as spares

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Scouser, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Scouser

Scouser Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR125
    OK so I did warn everyone there would be the occasional dumb question at the start of my time here, so here goes.
    My Aprilia SR125 and I commute 20 miles each day. Is there anything I should keep (aside from 2T oil!) as essential or often used spares.
    What wears out quickest on these? Any help greatly appreciated. :)

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Drive belt, rollers, oil pump belt (change it if you haven't already) spark plug and cap, tools

3. Merlin

Merlin Old School Biker

Rides:
    2007 TKR WRC 50
    A glue and plug motorbike puncture repair kit is highly recommended, unless you like pushing your bike. Spare bulbs are also useful (headlight, indicator, stop/tail light) and some fuses.

4. Scouser

Scouser Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR125
    Brilliant, thanks boys. Learning as I go!

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Cable ties,tape,work gloves,keyring torch......

6. Scouser

Scouser Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR125
    OK I am getting my head around the inner workings of the scooter but roller weights are still a bit of a mystery.
    What is the usual weight advised for a roller and what are the variables I should consider before choosing which weight is right for me? (dumb question 2!)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Welcome to the club.:).,only been into peds about 2 years now,an still mildly puzzled.o_O.
    So far,i've got....bikes are supplied with a standard weight according to size and design,alot of roller weight changes.help acceleration and top-end according to weight - usuallly in conjunction with tuning,such as exhaust.big-bore kits,carburettor changes.,
    Lighter weights spin faster,heavier.slower but stronger -
    gonna stop now,subjects melting my brain.:D.
    Good luck........

Scouser likes this.
  8. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Forgot...performance variator,belt,clutch,spring,un-restricted CDI............

hairyjim likes this.
  9. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    I'm with mark,peds do my head in...nothing in them but it seems what is needs a logical brain to sort it all.ive had a Chinky on the road for six months and it give me grief weekly...learned alot from this site...and ive built custom bikes and know my way round an ORDINARY engine.pound shop does a range of cheap tools that come in handy and a good little box to keep them all tidy.spare plug and good fitting spanner.WD40 or similar.leccy tape.+ all the other stuff the others have mentioned...best have it and not use it than need it and not have it.

Stevep and Mark Emerson Trentham like this.
  10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    This is what works for me,EVERYTIME.:) -
    Everything,including the kitchen sink & all it's ancestors.:D.,
    As time goes on,you get to recognise tools that will be most relevant to have with you,particular to your ride -
    Then you can start lightening down over time,till you get a more 'streamlined' tool-kit..mk.

hairyjim likes this.
  11. hairyjim

hairyjim To be repaired, restored.i hope.

Rides:
    Got a gilera ice
    I got everything in my box to do everything bar change a variator and clutch.not 100% quality but if ive taken it off before with a good tool it works fine .even took scotzmads vision (now mine) apart with them too.

12. Scouser

Scouser Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR125
    Thanks for the replies boys.
    I kind of like the fact that I have everything to learn, I reckon I will get right into the workings of the bike so no job is too big. It will probably take a very long time though!
    Spares wise, a second bike is a good option then?!!! Like you say, best to have it and not need it. I will run that one by the missus and see what she says.;)
    Tool wise I am not too bad. Lucky to have a decent range to start with but have bought a few new socket heads for rear wheel removal.
    Agree with the comment about the site too, some very knowledgeable folk around here.
    Thanks again.

13. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    AA card or similar,20 miles/pushable,but outside of work.;).