VT500E

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Gemma, Dec 15, 2013.

1. solorider

solorider Member

Rides:
    Longjia LJ50QT-K
    I would love a vt500, I used to despatch one in the late 1980s, and had fun, I clocked 30k miles on one in 3 months, the poor bike did not get a rest, it never let me down.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Those were the days.:),try it now...they've basically got you microchipped,even know when you go for a ????.:(.

3. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Back in the days when 'GPS' was the big hardback A to Z with a blue cover. Phones were the size of a house brick and the traffic was awful rather than impossible!

The VT hasn't missed a beat all summer, due a visit to the bench though for tappets and full service. That's once hubbies 125 is finally off the bench. Been there half the summer with no front end on it. Used Philpots for years so thought best to send the pitted and scratched stanchions off for rechroming. That was 3 months ago! Firstly the courier couldn't find us for over a week (OK it's not the easiest address out here in the sticks, but all they had to do was ask at the pub!). Then instead of the two week turnaround we expected, it's been over 12 weeks!!!!

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Be interesting to get a VT & knock about on one I did'nt ride back then....probaly piles of rust/stuck in a shed.barn somewhere or so pristine,not finacially viable.....

5. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Plenty of them about in reasonable condition for rolling restoration. I picked up mine pretty cheap. The guy was pleasant enough but he didn't mention it would not start when the engine was hot. It was just one of the 'hidden' double spark plugs was duff and took five minutes to cure!

Plenty around like that with something minor electrical and a bit tatty. No doubt plenty of total dogs to avoid too. Things to check are the metal plate under the seat, it is repairable (though an ugly repair) and no longer available. Rotted out swingarm (again repairable but good to find one that doesn't need it). Beware of duff cooling systems and the likely blown head gasket and warped rear head that goes with it (check level/state of coolant, state of radiator and that the electric fan kicks in when required or the bike has been fitted with an override switch). Overly rattly cam-chains are best avoided too and one can't go too far wrong.

6. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    gemma! your back :D oh how weve missed your presence ;)

often now its just cheaper to get new stanchions than rechroming :( I prefer to deal with stuff like that in person and not sending off through courier, sometimes helps to let them know your not pissing about and just want it done quick.

wouldn't mind a VT500 but if I get another bike ill never get off this bleedin sofa ive been sleeping on

7. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E

Yep wish I had just gone for new stanchions and got the job done. Been sending stuff to Philpots for years though without problems so was kind of surprised at the rubbish service we've had.

Not really been anywhere, I just spend every waking hour outside in the summer and don't get on the internet much. Come the winter and I'm messing about in the workshop and spending half the day sat at the computer with a cup of coffee. :D

Want the 125 sorted though as my son is about to turn 17. He's done well with the X8R-X getting to college and back with no problems, thought he'd like to try out the Varedero and see how he gets on with gears before moving up to a 125. Can't really do that with the front end in bits all over the garage lol.

8. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    VT would be nice,too say at least I hit most of the biggger service bikes from way back.:) -
    am wondering though,if getting another CX would have any effect on the retrograde amnesia I suffer,(have very few recollect memories of riding it)after that accident that took me out,hummm.?.

9. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    CX 650 E (not the turbo) would do me OK! But then again I like VF 750's so what do I know about any of it ;)