VT500E

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Gemma, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    The plan is to eventually rebuild the donor/spares bike too, but I'm concentrating on the rolling restoration first.

Once the donor bike is stripped right down to the frame (It is almost there already), I'll get it checked then have it stove enameled, that way I've got one already on the road but being improved, the second can be a complete nuts and bolts rebuild.

It got chosen as the donor partly because all the bodywork was badly painted black, nothing wrong with black but this was an awful attempt and it wasn't even fuel proof. There was also a lot more tin worm on the donor, so the decision was made to take it right back to the frame to check everything and replace rotted out metal. I've already welded up the swinging arm as the bottom of the torsion box had rotted away completely.

At some point I'll probably have buy in a third one for more parts (mostly body work), but it makes sense with them going for as little as £250 - £300 at the moment to do so.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Your dedication is admirable!,
    Sure as h..l would'nt want to embark on resurrecting an old CX-
    all old availible parts would probs. be so knackered / not bear thinking about,
    sides the maggott was a means to an end,
    only 1 bike i've ever had on the plot i'd consider having again.

3. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Most VT's are now getting chopped or triked, so I'm pretty determined to keep a couple of them standard.

The bits parts wise are:

Finding non-rotten swinging arms. Welded repair of the torsion box is feasible.

Metal back plate in rear mudguard under seat where the grab rail bolts on, it is no longer available from Honda and they are nearly all rotten - right where the brackets fit for the grab rail, so a real safety issue. Again welded repair is possible but as it is clearly visible under the seat I'm looking for ones with minimal rot and restoring them before they go to far.

Then there is the original exhausts, particularly the left muffler as it has the balance pipe, lowest part of system so it rots like mad where it joins the right muffler.

All the above rot from the inside out so they can look good when first inspected, but actually be toast.

Other than that, nothing to it all :)

Not sure about the CX so much as it is pressed steel frame, which I guess could be a real nightmare with the tin worm. I have seen a couple restored recently though, there was a red one on the M11 a couple of months ago. It was really stunning show room condition! I found the CX engine fascinating though, loved working on them in the past so I could be tempted if I won the lottery and had more money, space and time!

I'll post up some pics of my pile of rotten bits to show how bad they can get when I get a chance.

4. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    PS which bike would you have again? I'm thinking if I get the chance I might go for an early pro-arm VFR 750, they are getting to be bargain prices locally now. the FN/FP models were to me the best looking VFR, but my head is probably a few decades out of date lol.

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    If you ever do suss out and restore a cx to good standard,
    Especially with an embellishment like top end crash-bars-
    careful with them as your knees tend to rest on the retaining bolt ....
    Can make one h..l of a mess of your leg if you ever encounter the occasional 'blip' on the radar..... ;) .

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    CD 200 Benly,
    Strickly small bikes me,point+squirt / city...absolutely hate distance as find it boring an need to be kept on the boil-
    Load me up , fire me out,
    Sub 5/250,step up from 125,that bike was perfect for the job. :) .

7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    CB650/750 if I fancied something bigger though. :)

8. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    I knew I guy who despatched a Benly, it was sort of maroon coloured, he never missed a day and could get it to do pretty good slow motion wheelies too! :)

CB 650/750 gorgeous and a proper classic look to.

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Got it in one!,
    if I remember rightly,slightly metallic tint,mine complimented by big 'D' bar crash proctectors either side,
    Held on by 1 bolt top/1 bottom!!,
    Wheels cracked up frequently,and the low slung exhausts (city/ curbs,etc. ;) ).,
    That bike symbolised the high point of my golden years!
    have only seen a blue in the last year though :(.,
    CB mind,probaly only bike i've seen in regards to thinking bigger / that i'd be happy as is,
    Does look the part.

10. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    A few more pictures.

Donor/full restoration bike, being robbed of parts and stripped down at the same time!

[​IMG]

Rotten bits, 30 years of British winters takes it toll

[​IMG]

Restored tank in primer. This was from the donor bike, it's been internally rust treated and sealed and is in primer as a spare for now.

[​IMG]

11. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    How was the language taken those 2 off. :) .,
    Tank should come up sweet,
    had a bit of a gander at barn/shed/?? finds-
    seems a few vfr going fair cheap(C 4/5 100/ though did't clock models,
    Cb's.....uhmm,12-2k , before getting stuck in.

12. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Language went along the lines of repeated statements of, 'what a piece of s***, what a piece of....' etc lol. :)

It's interesting what is about nice and cheap at the moment. The bikes I really wanted but couldn't afford when I was young are all now at rock bottom prices, problem is I seem to have less money with the recession than ever before :(

13. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Gotta learn to prioritise.....
    (an learn to love b/toast. :) ).,
    was oftr for about 12+ years an nowadays find
    that what most rode around when younger and literally bought for a few tenners ain't happening now.,
    as for the ones I wanted / probs. talking bank loan.!.

14. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

ive got a first gen vf, love the sound of a v four. cbs are going for stupid money now because of the new cafe racer craze. if you buy a thrid gen vf, you can get a blower kit!

15. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    VT posing at Andrewsfield today.

[​IMG]

Fortunate that the plane behind was parked in just the right place, G-BSJX, Piper 161 Warrior, the very plane I did my PPL training in, got about 110 total hours in her in my log book!

It's worth mentioning many private flying clubs welcome bikers visiting for lunch. A lot of private and commercial pilots ride bikes too! Mike the manager at Andrewsfield has a 500cc twist and go!

I can certainly recommend Andrewsfield for lunch, just off the A120 near Braintree and also North Weald. Visiting North Weald, the club house is on the far side of the airfield from the entrance. Quite a ride round but you'll get to see plenty of historic planes on the way. Just remember to stop and check before crossing the runway and give way to taxiing aircraft, on an airfield THEY have right of way ;)

16. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

is that the one where the locals made a fake speedcamera? maybe i am thinking of one near halstead

17. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Nearest I heard of was in Lavenham, fair bit away, other side of Sudbury, but I think a lot of people are doing it, plenty of car drivers completely ignoring 30 limits through villages, so could have been local to Andrewsfield, it's near Stebbing.

That's another run we do fairly regularly, up through Halstead, Sudbury, back through Clare. On the Glemsford lower road there's a good burger van, so we aim for that! Perhaps we should start a road cafe/burger thread!

18. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Might check that.......
    have'nt flown a plane since 86,
    kinda bit of irony there,not getting licence-
    Ol man was USAF. :D .

19. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Please do,please do please do.:D,
    might plan tour/Britain 1 day ¢ c70/90,puch maxi.;) .

20. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E

I had to draw a line under flying - loved it, always wanted to do it but with the Warrior burning 36 litres of Avgas an hour, just not sustainable for me, cost now around £170 an hour including hire cost to fly it! Money better spent on bikes, plenty more hours enjoyment for the money. Could get some Hagon shocks for the VT with that money, they would last me 10 years! Andrewsfield is a really nice place to go though, great grub and outside seating, buy lunch, sit there on a summer day watching planes coming and going, looking forward to the ride back home. Can't beat it really. North Weald is similar and has some historic jets flying too!