VT500E

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Gemma, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    A couple of pics of my VT, quirky 80's shaft drive. Remembered by many mechanics for its inboard ventilated front disc, which was a bit, well rubbish. I couriered an identical one of these for 9 years around London lol. Not this one though, bought this as a rolling restoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Work done so far, replaced awful aftermarket handlebar with original, renovated the switchgear (which included soldering in switches as I had about 3 switchgear but all with their own individual faults). Replaced cables for better ones as I worked on the handle bar. Sorted out difficult starting. Turned out to be a duff plug and probably the reason I bought it cheep. Oddly this bike has two plugs for each head and people don't always check the hidden ones. Also replaced rear shocks, though still want better ones. The ones originally fitted were so banana shaped they jammed in a compressed position when my son was on the back of it!

Road handling of these was always interesting, this one is pretty awful, so jobs planned for after xmas will include a complete rebuild of the front forks, new head bearings and swinging arm bearings and some Hagon shocks when I can afford them!

Apologies for the scooter thing creeping into the first picture (after all this is the bike forum) damn things get everywhere, even in me garage ;)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Inhouse + plot for linklaters at Aldersgate St.,
    I was on the plastic maggott behind you. :) :) .

Gemma likes this.
  3. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    LOL, :) did you ever go to Chasbikes? They had tons of maggot and vt bits.

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Used to have a penchant for prohibition notice specials from essex rd.,
    if I never see another wet/dream in my life,i will die happy. :) .

5. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    Ah the 250N a thing of beauty, especially with a bin liner for a seat :)

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Handy for carrying the apples/grapes.ha ha.....not.

7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Motorways,cat-eyes,
    Insidious japanese plot to bore us to death. :).,
    Not many about now,seen one local,real nice from one old diehard/mind.

8. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    I wouldn't mind a CB 250 RS, I've fond memories of those and not too bad in traffic. Remember reading somewhere it was possible to get an FT 500 lump into the CB 250 frame o_O:)

9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    O.M.G....,
    Rs250's only bike I eveeer blew an engine on!!-(
    Left it parked on centre divider down .barking 'round about 16yrs ago).,
    Fair dos though it was a nice ride / less podgy than o/weight dream nicer engine as well,
    but if you were'nt paying attention it would take
    1/2 your calf muscle off on kickback!,
    they're easy to hotwire as well (courtesy of me loosing key an controller being a devious f.,
    Did'nt see many FT's around during my time.it was all dreams.rs.cx.vt.gt.cd.cg.an occasional nutter on a hyperbike.

10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Ohh,
    Any VT's I may have seen around that time,
    sure as hell did'nt look aaaanything as tidy as yours ,more like something 'mutated' with a round thing attached to either end.ha ha. :D.

11. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    VT's use to get tired looking real quick new body panels, fairing, seats etc where well expensive from Honda, for what was essentially supposed to be a 'hi-tech' but budget bike.

The side panels use to go first. The front lug would break, then the wind would get under it on motorways pushing against your leg as it tried to escape.

I kept my original VT fairly together for a few years, but it ended its days with multi-coloured panels, red fairing, white tank, blue side-panels. This mostly happened as it turned out a lot cheaper to buy other bikes for parts then going to see Mr Honda. I killed it finally racing along the Old Kent Road, missed a gear and buried it into the red line. I guess the valves went, but back then I just got rid rather than worrying much about it.

I only saw a couple FT's too, not many about, just never got the idea out of my head though ;)

12. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Mate used to call his joseph. :) ,
    Honda prices....grrrrr.grumble,plus a shhreak or 2 more like it. :eek: .

13. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    We have a running joke with the local Honda dealer that everything from an O-ring to a spare bolt is £300.

Trouble is some things actually are £300 + then the VAT on top!! For a 30 year old bike. Bonkers. Thank god for Dave Silver Spares, but not as much VT stuff these days as there use to be.

14. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Never really got that with the honda £'s-
    lifetime impression of the brand was that a honda was your friend,and 'you meet nice people' riding one,wanted something I could argue with when young / why I originally avoided them. :) .....
    me an D.S. are'nt best of friends!,
    only used once at moment- was for 'peds tyres/tubes/cables/locknuts + a few other ancillaries,
    an they took absolutely forever to deliver-
    even though I think it was due to time of year I ordered (near Christmas.....dumb!!),-
    thought in part it was fate finding them on net seeing as bike was from that area originally back in the eighties.,
    one of those things 'spose,use again but more careful when an how I order methinks / an especially when bits needed quickly. ;) .

15. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    I tend to get restoration parts from DS rather than repair parts, so delays are not too much of a problem, stuff is here by the time I get round to needing it for jobs planned in advance.

For things I need quick I'll go to the local dealer, sometimes ebay/net.

Lings are OK online for Honda and it is good to search the parts using their diagrams, but like DS it can be a case of waiting for stuff, it gets here eventually but not much good if I have a job that needs doing quickly.

16. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Planning in advance,check!!,got that sucker written on the back of my hand. :) .,
    Bad D.S. deal I just put down to being away from bikes so long,so's little clueless especially.,
    Have you ever heard of CMSNL?- started back on bikes along a certain line / and loving the microfiche style diagram format (makes you feel like a kid in a sweet-shop).

17. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
  18. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Yes,they do seem to have the bits in certain areas that can be a b....r to find,
    luckily for me I don't do credit-cards.......yet.(ouch). :) .

19. Gemma

Gemma Captain Spooky

Rides:
    VT 500 E
    I cut up my credit cards, got in a right mess with them, just have one debit card now so I can't spend what I don't have!

I guess it's worth mentioning the other parts source, I've got another complete VT 500 in the shed. Cost me £300 and has donated shocks, coils, cables and various other bits.

I'll update more in the new year when I start on the forks. The idea is to get them hard chromed then replace the bushes and seals etc. I've picked up a spare set so I'll still have the bike on the road while they are being done.

20. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Been without 1 long enough- reckon'll be able to handle now. :) .,
    spare bike in the shed,kinda causes a bitta pain hearing that!,when did you pass the crux point 'no not for rebuild?- SPARES bike'. :) .,