Vivacity 50

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by karlhunter76, Apr 11, 2015.

1. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Now then, I'm fixing up a vivacity for a mate, I got a second hand engine and immobiliser free loom and got it running.
    Now he's given me a 70 head and piston kit, new variator and clutch to match including a exhaust and a 28mm carb.
    Thing is I'm a car man so I'm unsure as where to start with it all. I'm planning to take the engine back off and have it at a comfortable height on my trolley to work on.
    Any hints or pointers will be very helpful, thanks in advance

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

biggest tip, is make sure the jetting is right or it will seize, there are plenty of guides on jetting and all sorts of guides on rollers and such, have a nosey around the site and use the search box. also youtube is your friend, lots of very good videos on there!
    28mm carb seems a bit big! maybe it was 21mm?

3. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

No its definitely a 28mm carb, the bloke who sold the carb and engine bits said he'd need the bigger carb to compliment the other mods.
    I've been nosing around the forum and there's loads to read.
    Cheers

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

28 is VERY big for a little scoot! should be a bit of an animal!

5. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Oh dear ha, can't wait to try it and get rid. I think I'm getting this scooter bug though. I keep browsing ebay

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

scooters are fun, it doesnt matter if it falls over as it weighs nothing! my scoot is only about 35kg!

7. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Pulled the engine back out on my dinner break. Got it sat on my trolley and got the head off, didn't realise how easy it would be!
    Just one problem, do I need to lube up the piston as I guide it into the head? I presume car engine oil would be a no no as it's too thick.

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

you can use normal engine oil, but its best to use some 2 stroke, you only really need a dab on your finger and run it round the rings/barrel, also if its a new kit, make sure the port edges are schamfered, they can be quite sharp on some kits and can nip the rings (especially the exhaust)

9. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

when im installing a new piston on a 2 stroke, i polish the top of the piston first, it helps with fuel economy and stops carbon building up, you can do the same to the exhaust port too

10. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Cheers for that I'll give it a go today

11. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Right new kits all bolted on, now the lad whose bike it is bought a big carb, 28mm! He's been told it would fit, but I'm going to need a bigger manifold. I'd rather get it running with the original carb

12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

i thought 28 was a bit big! just upjet the standard carb

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Yeah, 28mm carb is way too big for that setup. 21mm is about as far as i would go. With the 28mm fitted you will need a 360 manifold, different air filter, big box of jets.
    Apart from that he will be filling it up with fuel every day.
    If he is determined to have the 28mm fitted, tune it to the standard carb first, tell him to run it in properly (which i suspect he wont) then fit and re-jet the new carb to suit.

14. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Morning that's what I've done. I plumbed the engine back on yesterday with the standard carb, few kicks and it was running. Going to have a look for the carb adjustment thread on here then fettle it so its running sweet

15. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Another thing I've been reading up on is about the rollers. I think 9g are standard.
    The lad got a stage 6 variator kit and clutch, but they've got 10g rollers in. I've fitted them because I presume that size is right for the 70cc kit. I have got a set of 7g to go in if needs.

16. NRG2002

NRG2002 Member

Normally with a 70cc kit and exhaust you will find that you tend to go a gram or gram and half lighter,but remember you can mix two sets of rollers as long as they are put in the variator every other one,i.e 7g,9g7g,9g7g,9g will give the average of 8 gram rollers in there.It will be a case of trying them and seeing the best set up for yourself,you might find it could be lighter or the 10 gram ones.

17. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Okay ta for that, going to paint and put the panels back on tomorrow, I want it done out the way now so I can get a scooter to mod for myself!

Stevep and scubabiker like this.
  18. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Got some panels painted today, I ain't a painter
    A quick question, I had it idling for 5 minutes or so today and sounds sweet, I haven't touched the carb yet.
    There is oil/petrol dripping from the exhaust manifold, i know I've another gasket to put on but I wasn't expecting to see the oil, is this normal? Cheers

19. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

it can be normal with a 2 stroke, sounds like its running a bit rich, my little scoot is WAAAAY to rich and i get a lot of oil/fuel coming from my pipe when its idling

20. karlhunter76

karlhunter76 Member

Ah right, my boss said it's better to run rich than too lean when running the new parts in,

hairyjim likes this.