vinyl wrapping ??????

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by scotttheskp94, Jan 2, 2012.

1. scotttheskp94

scotttheskp94 New Member

gunna get my scooter vinyl wrapped just in a carbon fibre effect seen it done in cars but just wondered if anyone has had it done on there ped and if its easy enough to do or get done looking for prices and that cheers:)

2. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

To get it done it generally costs more than a paint job so it is pretty pointless. Doing it yourself isn't easy either and you will probably mess it up quite a few times. Carbon wrap is pretty damn expensive as well so you dont really want to get it wrong.

3. scotttheskp94

scotttheskp94 New Member

well iv already got all the carbon wrapping so that isnt a problem i see were you are coming from with the paint being cheaper but not sure if it will have the same effect as the wrapping debating on wether to do it really

4. ramo

ramo GoldMember

most of the times ive seen it done on peds it looks a bit bodge for various reasons tbh..

theres alot of strange shapes on peds which makes it a bit difficult and you cant really just slap it on over your shitty old paint it needs a nice smooth surface..given enough time tho i reckon it could look very good

5. scotttheskp94

scotttheskp94 New Member

well iv never seen it done n all panels are bein prepared before asif they were bein painted and thats wat i thought about the shape nut its the same on alot of cars that have it done i suppose the wrapping i got was not cheap hoping the get ped looking good for north run this year got a simpson to wrap aswell hopfully should go well just wondered if anybody knew

6. murerg

murerg MBK Hero!!!

Tried it with Di-Noc 3M carbon sheets... it doesnt last with heavy rain (I live in Scotland/Glasgow). Very time consuming to apply as well unless you have done it before. Flat surfaces are dead easy but as soon as you hit a curve you ar ein trouble even with a heat gun. As said above you need to get the hand of it otherwise you just stretch the sheet too far and you can see it once finished which isnt a very neat result.

Good for small parts, but def not for full bike as I wanted originally to do mine.

7. scotttheskp94

scotttheskp94 New Member

so u have tried it? think mite prepare 1 of the smaller panels and have a go first the scooters shape is pretty simple and iv got plenty to play with if it looks rubbish il take it off hope it doestnt tho :)

8. murerg

murerg MBK Hero!!!

Yep, tried it with carbon vynil sheets and copper chromes ones. The chrome ones ended up with the better finish on the stretched parts while you can notice the carbon one.

I would buy some kind of glue spray as well as the glue on the sheets generally does not last very long and #I tried the best one (3M Di-Noc)

9. InsaneONE

InsaneONE Active Member

Rides:
    aprilia SR 125
    i do vehicle wraps as part of my job been doing it for about 5yrs now. you need to do it right over wise it looks crap lol. the first thing is getting the right carbon vinly alot of them are not made for wraping. pending on the seires of the vinly will determanat how long it will last before lossing its color ect. how much did you get and who did you get your vinly from? to do it your self you will need a heat gun, scaple, applicatior, some panle wipe (de greaser), and a tac rag.de grease and tac the planle removing all grease and dust. take your time and slowly heat and work the vinly into the grooves and wrap it round the panels so that the corners and joins are not seen and not open to rain wind and dirt. if you can get the bike to porsmouth il do it for ya privately so be cheeper

Stathis likes this.
  10. Diesel

Diesel Member

3m have a network of approved dealers that do it