Vespa et2 revival

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by briddgy, Apr 28, 2020.

1. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Hi people,
    I don't know how active this site still is, but I came across my old profile from 9 years ago when I was 16 and thought I'd have another go!

My name is Tom and I recently bought this little vespa et2 50 as a bit of a project to keep me sane during this covid19 stuff and I'm starting to really fall for it!
    I bought it of a friend's sister who had owned it for 15 years! It had been sat still for about 7 and I basically bought it as a non runner.

I went through it all and found a few faults aswell as the non starting issue, few electrical gremlins and perished pipes and missing electrical components so made a nice big order and set about fixing it.

Managed to get it running with all the new bits, a very deep carb clean and new fuel and 2 stroke oil ( can go into more detail if people want just fire me some questions )

Whilst I stripped the carb I noticed the jet size was one down so ordered a pack of jets in my big order just incase that was a issue

After managing to get it running I thought I'd take it down the road and It was bogging at wide open throttle, I swapped the jet out and put the correct size in and it seemed to have sorted it! Happy days! Theeeen it died and would start again

The spark wasn't the best but it was there but then I noticed the carb was over flowing, I did check the float previous and seemed ok but I stripped and cleaned it all again and managed to get the float needle a bit more freely moving.

Managed to get it running again and no flooding, then it died... Again and would not start for the life of me, so I suspected the plug, I thought I'd save my self the bother and ordered a new derestricted cdi and plug and cap. Also before I ordered them bits I thought I'd take the belt cover off as everything just seemed tight and the engine struggle to start if the back brake was on, I found the clutch was shagged and sticking on, the clutch bell was rusty and the belt had also seen better days , the variator and rollers were in good shape though, so added a complete clutch assembly and belt!

Once that all arrived I got it all on and boom started first time, I tweaked the carb mix and it seemed to run sweet, did idle a bit high though and the idle screw didnt seem to affect it much so I'm guessing it has a air leak which I suspect is the throttle cable cap gasket as it's rock solid, it will have to do for now though as I can't find a replacement anywhere, it's got a 12mm Weber carb as standard which seems to be the only difference between the et2 and Piaggio zip which runs the dellorto 17.5mm carb which I am thinking of upgrading to when I get a new sports exhaust for it

Anyway now I got it it running, I took it up the road and it went great! Was really chuffed with it, so thought I'd give it a bloody good clean!

I found alot of scratches and marks that are so swap they wouldn't polish out and a few bits of surface rust that I know these suffer with but it really isn't anything bad at all, after a full deep clean, polish, wax and gloss sealant the paint came up really amazing considering haha

It does need some new tyres for the MOT but other wise should be good to go, I want to buy a new exhaust but not sure what to go with yet and want to upgrade to a 17.5mm carb as I previously said.

Thanks for reading, feel free to drop and comments or ideas you all may have, I'm definitely open to advice or suggestions

Won't let me upload my pictures as the files are too big

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

The mixture screw is probably why it idles fast.

briddgy likes this.
  3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Definately do the carb upgrade, put the Naraku Black edition 17.5mm on it, iirc they use 5mm thread sized main jets not 6mm like the dellorto carbs.
    The Technigas silent pro would be a good upgrade for it, looks standard, non of the restrictions, won't look out of place against the original.
    Check the throttle cable itself where it splits to go to the oil pump, they get missed a lot and I'm guessing that's probably why it's idling a bit high (not letting the carb slide go all the way down)

briddgy likes this.
  4. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    I have played with it so much though dude, and it just won't slow down ranging from one turn to six haha half a turn each time

5. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    I would like to modernise it a bit and go for a more sporty exhaust, was looking for a pm 360 but heard they aren't the greatest with a 50 barrel? not a fan of the subtle pipes if I'm honest, is the naraku stuff quite good? I will definitely look at that mate I didn't know it was adjustable there if I'm honest haha

6. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

welcome to the forum, im new here too.

I too have returned to scooters after a long time away. I pulled my Runner out the shed, it was last on the road in 2012, and like you am going over it, and have put an order in.

I had a quick look for exhausts for your ET2, and boy there isnt anything that floats my boat, all just standard looking sports pipes.
    so if it was me, I would stick an iron 70cc kit on it with a 17.5mm carb, keep it stealth ;)

will be quicker than a 50cc with a pipe all day long.

briddgy likes this.
  7. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Haha awesome, it's fun going back to them,

It's exactly the same engine as the zip, so I'm going to get an exhaust for one of them, like the yasuni or something.

I may get a 70 kit down the line maybe once I'm on the road and I find the 50 a bit boring, I may look into getting gear up kit and so on and go from there but for now plan is to stick to a 50 more than likely get the carb and the exhaust and enjoy it :)

8. The Messenger

plenty of zip pipes about, but you may have to modify a zip pipe to fit the vespa bodywork. maybe try and pick up a 2nd hand zip pipe off e-bay, that way if you have to modify it your not butchering a brand spanker.

briddgy likes this.
  9. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2

Yes that's the only issue, I have already a standard pipe on it but not a vespa pipe and it were hitting the body, bought and fitted a jack up kit and completely clears it now, happy days

10. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Well a bit of an update, some shiny bits have been ordered haha, let's see how we get on

scubabiker likes this.
  11. The Messenger

Thats the spirit :)

briddgy likes this.
  12. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Hopefully be here tomorrow

13. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Got the yasuni pipe on and carb on! Absolutely buzzing seems to be running sweet, no bogging or anything, doesn't feel much faster though lol :( maybe change the rollers up and clutch springs

[​IMG]

14. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    This is how it's currently sitting

Attached Files:

15. The Messenger

nice one :cool:

briddgy likes this.
  16. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Cheers mate, just need the rollers setting up I think

This is when I first got it

Attached Files:

17. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Was filthy and gross

Attached Files:

18. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Have it a good clean and a few new bits and it's looking great, had all the switches apart and cleaned all the corrosion so now they actually work

Attached Files:

19. briddgy

briddgy Member

Rides:
    2001 vespa et2
    Does anyone know the advantages a polini variator would have over a standard one?

20. The Messenger

They just do a better job of shifting between the ranges to the Piaggio variator.

But be careful when buying Polini Variators, The original and best is the speed control and is the one you want, avoid the cheap economy High speed variator and deffo avoid that 9 roller one its crap imho.

you cant go wrong really with a Malossi Multivar ;)

briddgy likes this.