Very General Questions about Kisbee 100

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by DavidB, Oct 1, 2019.

1. DavidB

DavidB New Member

Good evening all. After having owned my Kisbee 100 Sportline for a year, there are a few issues to address, one of which is the exhaust has just started blowing a bit. I'm taking it off the road for a month or so and would like to do some improvements as well as repairs, I see many aftermarket parts for other makes, models etc. but almost nothing for mine. The engine is a 150QMG so I guess its a GY6 of sorts? Has anyone got guidance on where to go for an aftermarket pipe, a 150cc upgrade maybe? I'm mechanically pretty proficient (riding "big" bikes for 25 years) but wholly unfamiliar with the scooter world. Any comments or suggestions welcome!

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I didn't even know there was a 100cc gy6... Plenty of big bore kits for a 125 one making them 150cc. But I guess the 100cc has a short stroke crank like a 50cc?

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I agree with scuba, need to search the net for parts !

4. DavidB

DavidB New Member

Cheers guys, sensible point. I can't find much info on that particular engine configuration and I have scoured the net. The truth will come when I strip the bike down a bit and get busy with the calipers. I already have stroke and bore dims from the Haynes manual, but once I know about the crank case diameter at the cylinder, the pitch of the cylinder head studs, inlet and exhaust mounting stud spacing etc. I will know better how close to a "standard" gy6 this really is. Thanks for the input.

5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

CMPO
    Chinese motorcycle parts online.
    I have 170cc kits in stock for the gy6 engines, but you will have to check your stroke first,

6. DavidB

DavidB New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, just checked my email, got a response from Ben at CMPO … they don't do an exhaust or a big bore kit. I guess this is just going by the numbers. I've ordered a couple of OEM gaskets from 3X which should tell me what the crank case opening diameter and stud PCD are, save me opening it up at this stage. Stroke by the Haynes Manual is 52mm, bore is 50mm. Stripdown photos in Haynes show that the cylinder looks very similar to those in adverts for BBKs, but Haynes photos aren't always the exact item, and I guess most 2V 4T OHC top ends look pretty similar to each other.

7. Spcmarine

Spcmarine New Member

DavidB how have you got on with your search for parts? I also aquired a Kisbee 100 which I use for the commute and nipping about. Interested to know if you have looked into upgrading the clutch and rollers? Dan

8. DavidB

DavidB New Member

Nothing useful yet I’m afraid. Did a basic service over Christmas, just to poke around in the machine... swap carb out for newer one (from breakers as mine has never run right), engine & gearbox oil change, filters, belt & rollers, clutch, valve clearances, tried out a led bulb - useless because of the shape of the reflector - ... new modded fairing with Acerbis hand guards. It’s a doddle to work on as long as you buy yourself a variator ‘sprocket locking tool’ (which will need modifying to align properly) and the clutch basket holding tool for torquing up the clutch nut. It’s my first scooter so I didn’t have these. Also, the stuff I’ve found out is probably common knowledge among the scooter experts on here, but like I say I’m a real newb to all this.
    Now that the thing runs right I will start looking at upgrades. Already bought an 11 pole stator and standard 3ph rec/regulator with a view to upgrading electrics (better lights/fuel pump) but would like to get some measurements of voltage vs engine rpm / speed in stock trim first.
    Engine wise, a head gasket has finally arrived from 3X so I can roughly compare the stud PCD, offsets, cam chain opening size and location with a “generic” gy6 BBK to see if a bore upgrade is even possible. At the same time I’m scouring eBay for a dirt cheap damaged motor to pull apart and measure gudgeon pin diameter.
    It’s slow progress as I use the scoot as a winter hack while the Speed Triple gets some winter love, so I can’t have it off the road for long periods until the spring.
    My gut feeling is that standard BBK kits will not fit, and the crank /rod will be quite different to the generics... it seems like Peugeot commissioned a single Chinese scooter mfr to put an engine together for them and it’s noticably different to any ‘normal’ gy6. I heard also the 50cc version has different gudgeon pin diameter to standard 139 gy6. For no clear reason. If that’s the case it’s too much like hard work, I might keep the capacity the same and do a closed loop EFI project using Ecotrons or Microsquirt. Not much in the way of power gain but an interesting project nonetheless and much less reliant on the exact spec of the donor scoot. I haven’t thought about changing up rollers or any other CVT mods unless I can get more power out of it but have a go... and let us know what you find.
    Good luck, I will post up anything that might prove interesting or useful, tagged with “Kisbee 100”.

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

" it seems like Peugeot commissioned a single Chinese scooter mfr to put an engine together for them "

Correct.
    Peugeot commissioned Sinnis to build the scooters and re-badge them as Peugeot.

DavidB likes this.
  10. Spcmarine

Spcmarine New Member

DavidB, mines also a cheap winter hack. My ZX6R is saved for sunny days only. What size belt, variator and clutch did you fit? Mines got a bit of a rumble / vibration when there is drive so hoping some new parts might sort that out.

11. DavidB

DavidB New Member

All OEM Peugeot parts from Three Cross Motorcycles just to get a baseline. Prior to the service the idle was a bit erratic meaning that sometimes it would stall, other times it would be biting the clutch at idle. Pick up was very non linear and had noticeable rumble and a bit of vibration. Now it's like a new scooter. Rollers had a noticeable flat spot worn into them, belt was down to minimum thickness, a bit frayed with cracks between the rubber teeth, air filter was pretty skanky, plug carbon'ed-up showed running a bit rich. Clutch linings clean but worn to the minimum recommended thickness. Noise has improved as I swapped out the perished pulse-air pipe, which was cracked, and put the panels back on properly so they don't rattle (eye-roll). Just got the price for the Ecotron small engine EFI kit... it's going to work out around £500 and I don't even like the scooter that much. Will keep looking. Roll on summer so you can get the Kwakka back out.

12. Spcmarine

Spcmarine New Member

Called around and apparently the factory in China who make the clutches has gone bust. Because the Kisbee is so rare I cant find anything aftermarket

13. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Isn't the kisbee clutch the same as a speed fight?

14. DavidB

DavidB New Member

Just rang my local dealer, complete clutch assy just shy of £100, pattern part around £30, shoes available separately. They would have to be ordered in as he has none in stock, but should only be a couple of days. Apparently you can use assembly from other models but you might have to retain the original springs as the tension is different. I need to credit Dimons of Gosport for this info and all round good service, highly recommended, popping in there this afternoon for a few bits.

Spcmarine likes this.
  15. Spcmarine

Spcmarine New Member

Thanks mate, will give them a call. The few places I spoke with basically suggested no chance of finding one. I had resigned myself to building one up out of parts from other models