Variator problems

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by aerox2012, Jun 1, 2018.

1. aerox2012

aerox2012 New Member

Recently i replaced my stock variator pulley with this being the stock one was too loose. Now it runs very weird. I drew a picture to demonstrate it. So it gets off nicely then the rpm lowers for a while then it starts gaining it back up.

Setup:
    Stage6 streetrace 70cc
    Stage6 Pro Replica
    Malossi multivar 4,5g rollers
    Malossi fly clutch 6-8k RPM clutch springs and big spring malossi red
    Dellorto 19mm PHBG and open filter

2. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Was it running ok before you got that new fan wheel ?

3. Sam phantom

Also did you get a new spring washer and nut ? If you didn't then that is why the stock one Is loose

4. aerox2012

aerox2012 New Member

Well it did ran "ok" but it was screaming like hell because the belt slipped because of the variator being "loose." And i had to change it because the loose front pulley kept making the very front nut of the variator loose, which wouldn't do good if it opened mid ride.

5. Sam phantom

did you get a new spring washer and nut ? If you didn't then that is why the stock one Is getting loose

6. aerox2012

aerox2012 New Member

Nut was new but the washer was old so it came loose because of the that and the stock pulley is pretty much broken now it cant be used at all.

7. Sam phantom

You have to replace the conical washer every time that’s why it’s coming loose!

Just get a stock pulley and new nut and washer

8. aerox2012

aerox2012 New Member

I'll first try to fix this unless it's actually impossible to make it work with this part then i'll go to that, so got any suggestion what could i do for now?

9. Sam phantom

No... apart from geting a stock pulley... and the washer... that pulley you have must be throwing everything out of balance

Usually that set up would need 5.5g rollers too BUT if it ran ok before then maybe not

10. aerox2012

aerox2012 New Member

I will try heavier rollers because when i went from 4g rollers to 4,5g it helped

11. Sam phantom

Try 5.5 I have just built a gilera with a similar set up to yours but with5.5g rollers and mid race engine instead of street race... and it’s perfect