valves

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by Purplepill, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Purplepill

Purplepill Member

ok im gettin my cbr 6 serviced on thursday(nxt), and it needs the valve clearances reset (also hes cheking CCT,compression an balancing carbs), just wondering whether riding it until then will do any engine damage as there is a quiet ticking noise from head, but no loss in performance?

any advice appreciated :beer:

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    probably just pinking/rattely rocker/valve. clearance will sort this and aslong as its not SERIOUSLY loud it will be fine.

3. JakeSP

JakeSP New Member

x2

Not gonna be a cheap bill though :wtf:

4. robertbellinger

robertbellinger New Member

you wont do any damage mate unless its really bad but id still get it sorted

5. Purplepill

Purplepill Member

ok cheers, only £140-180 (depending on how many valves?) which is including loads of other little things like sparkplugs, carbs etc... dont know if thats a rip off or not but im not bothered

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    filter's and plugs are around 40.. so they recon it takes 3 hours to service your bike? :confused:arc: valve timings are so easy, its the FIRST thing they teach you at college. get a manual; and save yourself some money. balancing the carbs is pritty simple to do tbh bruv

7. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    thats a cheap service for one of these, the valve clearances should be fine, usually one or 2 shims have to be swapped round to make i perfect.

balancing carbs is piss easy, just need the guage to do it.

8. Purplepill

Purplepill Member

iv got a manual but i rekon itd take me longer than 3 hours to do everything hes doing, took me almost an hour just to derestrict the fucker :emb: engines quite hard to access, aint got a gauge either. cant be bothered to do it myself i aint short on money :pimp: .

thats what i thought, i was quoted £250 elsewhere :msn1:

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if you know its in good hands give the money... you know i dont like people doing anything for me tho :pimp: deffo get learning about the valve clearances and filters tho.. basic servicing on a 4t is a bit daunting comming from a 2t but its all fairly simple.

10. JakeSP

JakeSP New Member

Thought i was the only one! Hate other people touching let alone working on my stuff.

Seems like a good price for the work, Again be sure its in good hand first.

11. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    there are 2 people other than myself that i trust with my bikes. i won't take any bikes to dealers for work.

12. Leeroy

Leeroy Member

just finished a motorsport engineering course and yes minors right v clearences were one of the first we learnt, very easy but they changed once the engine warmed up so you have to set it again and if set wrong effected the compresson of the cylinder

13. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    should have cold settings in the manual. just add 5% for cold messurements as they only swell a certian ammount

14. Leeroy

Leeroy Member

we were rebuilding a series a metro `1 ltr, we couldent be assed so just ran it cold, checked with the feeler gauge reset ect but we could run it without the rocker cover on so re adjusting wasent difficult and didnt need major assembly once adjusted.

15. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    lol, yeah my land-rover is like that, its great.

16. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the joys of pushrod engines

17. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yup, its about all that is good about em.

18. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
  19. morgan

morgan New Member

If its a loud enough to hear over the exhaust and is constant you could couse damage to the engine, their could be piston to valve contact or valve to valve contact, both resulting in broken engines.

20. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    makes a retty mess does that, snapped cam chains are nasty.