u33db's BW50

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by u33db, Sep 4, 2011.

1. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Hi,

I sold my Aerox 100 (http://www.scootershack.co.uk/scooter-projects/u33db-s-aerox-100-t21290.html) a few months ago but after getting a new i needed another scooter to get me up and down to the train station.

Anyway i kept an eye on ebay/gumtree but nothing came up cheap enough round my way. After having a think i remembered the old BW50 i sold back at the start of 2010 so i emailed the buyer to see if he still had it and if he might consider selling it.

As luck would have it it was just sitting in his garage unused so after parting with £50 the bike was mine again!

The MOT is this Saturday so fingers crossed it passes!

Engine wise the bike is already 70cc'd from when i last had it but i'll be fitting the 22mm carb off the aerox for some more grunt. After that maybe a sports or swap one of my spare 100cc engines for some 120cc grunt..maybe - the 70cc will probably be quicker so i might just stick with that. erm...also got some Aerox wheels to fit as well and maybe some new bars and stem.

Also here are some pics from when i had it previously;

When i first bought it - this cost me £150 and was a non runner!
    [​IMG]

Strip down;
    [​IMG]

Frame back from being powdercoated;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

New engine mount;
    [​IMG]

Repalcement engine fitted (crank cases on the original were smashed);
    [​IMG]

Neos wheels fitted (to give me a disc brake and servicable forks);
    [​IMG]

New shock;
    [​IMG]

Repaint;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. m1ck_t

m1ck_t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    alot of shit
    looking well so far mate , i quite like the stock steel wheels, purely because they are unique in a way , just don't see them anymore ,everything has ally casts.

3. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Thanks, though it'll be getting aerox wheels next month!

MOT passed today but the bike keeps dying under load...i think the inside of the petrol tank is rusted and the tap is blocked so i'm going to strip it tomorrow...

4. mike_GP1

mike_GP1 New Member

looking good mate well done :~)

5. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Ta!

Well today i took the petrol tank of and powerwashed the inside...a load of rusty crap came out. This was the fuel tap so i reckon all the sediment must have been drawn down to this point and blocking the flow;

[​IMG]

Put it back together and now more dying though! :)

On the downside there exhaust is very oily at the tip and there a metal on metal ticking noise when you come off the throttle. I reckon with the fuel starvation its run very lean so i think the rings/piston have had their day.

Will order some new ones shorty but its still rideable.

6. xplicit vehicle

xplicit vehicle Member

Rides:
    PGO Big Max 50
    the bike would look so much better with a better set of indicators

looks nice though :thumbsup:

7. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Yeah defo needs smaller ones...these ones are the size of shoeboxes!

I'm going to fit some aerox forks next month along with stem/handlebars and new clocks (currently has no rev counter) so i'll add indicators to the list! :)

8. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Side stand fitted last night and have ordered a top box!

Went for square black Rickman Minibox to keep the retro look...£29 delivered.

Still waiting on the Malossi inlet manifold to fit my 22mm carb...

9. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Why do you want a top box o_O tuning + top box ? lol.

10. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    These have no underseat storage and i'm not lugging a helmet about all day while its parked up!

11. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Lol I do. My helmet can't fit mine under my seat even with loads of space haha. What you got planned engine wise ?

12. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Hmmm was think about swapping the malossi 120cc aerox engine in but think i'll stick with the 70cc it has now as it will be as quick.

So next month i reckon;

22mm PHVB carb,
    Exhaust (technigas unless theres something decent that is still made for the Minarelli Verticals??),
    Pod Filter,
    Lighter Rollers,
    Stiffer clutch springs and contra spring,
    Handlebar conversion.

Will see how it goes after that.

The 70cc is just a Top Performance Trophy so next step would be swapping that for a better cylinder or swap in a whole aerox LC motor.

I have the Keisler mounts for that though and it'd have more potential...

13. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Oh aye, also fit my gold aerox wheels to it!

14. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Deffonatly fit the rox engine in it.

15. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Yeah i think i will.

The engine thats in it at the moment is pulling pretty strong but theres a sqealing noise coming from it...sounds like maybe the crank bearings have gone dry.

Vertical engines are pretty thin on the ground now so a rox engine sounds the way to go. I think i'll run it as is until the snow comes then go liquid cooled.

Will look pretty mental with a radiator slapped on somewhere eh?

I'll be using this guys 172cc BW for inspiration i think;

http://forum.scooterforum.net/forum/f88/ken%B4i-mbk-booster-172cc-nx-157424/

:)

16. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    BTW heres a pic of the keisler engine mounts and a LC engine fitted off some german site;

[​IMG]

17. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Right as per workshop section it's fully derestricted now...i had to disconnect the red wire from the CDI to get round the rev limiter;

[​IMG]

Apparently its just the early BWS' that this worked on so bit of a bonus!

Also my Malossi manifold finally showed up as well;

[​IMG]

So this means come pay day i can fit the 22mm PHVB i had left over from my Aerox 100;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also fitted a top box...appreciate it's not the finest looking things but needs must at the moment;

[​IMG]

I'm still getting fuel issues due to rust in the tank so when i get paid i'll be buying a new tank...

18. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    New exhaust arrvied which i'll be fitting on Friday.

New spec will be;

- 70cc kit.
    - 22mm carb.
    - Technigas Trek.
    - Pipercross open cone filter

I've bought a box of jets but am not sure what to start will on the 22mm.

I'm thinking of starting of with a 110 or should i stick in the biggest (120)??

19. Jonnymarrw00t

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Have your bought the technigas pipe :/ They're SHIT. It's a aerox engine.... Buy a Yasuni R ;) And a 118 in my bike with a 17.5 so i'd say more 90 really.

20. u33db

u33db Member

Rides:
    Several Bikes
    Yes already bought it - i know its not the best but it was cheap and gets reasonable reviews elsewhere.

Unfortunately its not an aerox engine...its a AC minarelli vertical so that complicates things a little.

As standard verticals are jetted to 85/90ish (about 25 more than LC roxs) so if you're saying 90ish then for my bike would that not make it about 110-120?

I don't know if it works that way but from what i've read on the euro sites/american sites that'd be the ballpark for a 21mm/70cc/cone on an vertical?

:-s