Typhoon wheel conversion help

Discussion in 'Visual Modifications' started by MNlibtech, Nov 2, 2019.

1. MNlibtech

MNlibtech New Member

Got a 2005 Typhoon here in the US, want the bigger 13inch wheels. I’ve bought a couple wheels now that have not worked. First rear wheel was listed as 13” Nrg MC2 Rear Drum wheel. It came and was a 10inch typhoon wheel lol so no luck there. My second set I bought a complete set of NRG MC2 wheels. Now this set the front only works, I was told they bolt straight up front and rear, I’ve done a little more searching and a NRG MC3 rear might work? From what I understand now my bike is the big drum version? I would like to know for sure before trying to order another rear wheel for this bike. If anyone even on here has a used one for sale I would buy it or a wheel that might work and look decent with the 3 spoke NRG MC2 that I fitted with Malossi rotor. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Is it a 50 or 125cc t2 ?

3. MNlibtech

MNlibtech New Member

It’s a 50cc US version, I’ve been on eBay the last couple hours searching for a rear wheel

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Measure the rear wheel hub, it's more than likely to be 110mm, if so it's a NRG Mc3 rear wheel that you need. As you know it's the Mc2 front wheel but you may have to use a couple of spacers on the brake caliper .

5. MNlibtech

MNlibtech New Member

Thanks! Yea it does look like the stock typhoon wheel on it is 110mm big drum brake. Shit I’ve ordered 2 wrong back wheels now at least the front will work. I’ve got a lead on NRG MC3 rear wheel from Britain to the US but it’ll be about $200 with shipping. Anyone on here have anything cheaper?

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'll have a look.

7. MNlibtech

MNlibtech New Member

Here’s a few pics of the bike currently and some of derestricting it. I bought it stock with under 1,000 miles for $450 here in Minnesota US. It’s starting to get real cold so not so much tuning can be done. Has a Stage6 Sport/Pro variator Kit, Yasuni R exhaust, Malossi delta clutch, Malossi delta clutch bell, Malossi torque control driver, Malossi special belt, Stage6 Vforce3 reeds, Malossi viton intake, Polini covered pod filter, stock 17.5 carb for now with a 90 main jet and the needle in the middle position. Stock cylinder and ignition for now. I’ve ordered a Polini iron cylinder racing kit that is getting ported and chamfered as we speak. I also have a Dellorto PHBG 21 race edition I will probably be putting on from a Tomos project and past. It has upgraded rear suspension with the Malossi RS24/10 shock. Front and rear Malossi brake pads and front Malossi wave rotor. I also installed the euro turn signal kit. The plastics are a little bit beat up from previous owner laid it down once on a dirt road. But otherwise it’s pretty mint. It’s definitely a lot faster now then when I got it haha.

Attached Files:

8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I would imagine it's rare where you are in the US?

9. MNlibtech

MNlibtech New Member

Yup they are rare here. They don’t come up for sale very often. Was decent temps here today 45F so was able to do some tuning. I’m still running the stick clutch springs in the delta and think I need to bump them up a couple to get the clutch to engage a little higher in the rev band. I had to put a 108 in the main jet today for the cold weather (biggest jet I currently have for the 17.5) got some of my fastest speeds out of it today. I think I’m running the 6 gram rollers in there. Will have to see what I need to do when The 70cc kit arrives

10. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Any luck on a wheel ? I can get one here on the facebook page.

11. MNlibtech

MNlibtech New Member

No luck at all pretty bummed out. Had two sellers on eBay each measure the wheels and they both were 100mm small drum brake MC2. Willing to pay shipping and stuff if you could find on that’s 110mm! That would be awesome

12. MNlibtech

MNlibtech New Member

I’m also looking for a spacer for the front brake caliper to fit if you know where I could find one of those by chance?

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I used two 10mm ish size nuts, it's not the diameter it's sideways spacing that's needed.