Typhoon 125 fuel issues

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Storm, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Storm

Storm Member

Rides:
    Nothing atm
    Hi I'm not getting fuel from the tap to the carb. I've tested the tap its all good. Fuel straight into carb and it starts.

New plugs in there.

Confused now... Could it be a vacuum?

Does the fact that the Typhoon has two fuel tanks make a difference?

Am I missing something?

Any help appreciated

2. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Does your bike have a fuel tap lever and if so is the fuel lever in the right position? You may find its set to reserve tank and the reserve is empty but main tank full. Usually the main tank feeds the reserve so its unlikely. When you say that you tested the tap, what do you mean? If you have a vacuum tap then remove the fuel pipe from the carb and hold over a bottle. Run the engine, does fuel come out? If yes then the problem comes after that point and the problem may be the carb float valve. If no then next test the vacuum within the fuel tap. Find the vacuum pipe that leads to the tap and Disconnect the vaccuum pipe from the source end so its still connected at the tap itself. Suck on it... Does fuel come out of the fuel pipe now? If yes then the tap works, if no then the taps faulty.
    If it works then next check if fuel is reaching the tap. If not then you have a blockage.
    Its a case of following the pipes and checking each section. Is fuel flowing from a - b, then b - c and finally to the carb.
    Also check the fuel cap is okay. It needs to allow air through, usually through a small hole, check its not blocked which causes a vaccuum inside the tank and fuel wont flow. Just try running with the fuel cap sat loose.

3. ramo

ramo GoldMember

Everything is definitely hooked up right? . Its bit weird on these because of the fuel pump and the other tank, but saying that even with the 2nd tank not plumbed in properly the main tank should still empty. The fuel pump has its own vacuum too. Worth checking a diagram

Removing the secondary tank isn't very noticeable #lazy

4. Storm

Storm Member

Rides:
    Nothing atm
    OK so I tried a few things with the bike. Ended up putting in a new fuel tap but after riding a short distance the bike simply cuts out. It will start but won't go any distance

5. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

You need to start at the tank and check each section as you go. Fuel reaching tap? Fuel getting from tap to carb? Remove fuel pipe from carb and turn engine over, fuel should come out of the hose. If it does then your problem is in the carb, if not then its in the fuel delivery somewhere.
    I spent ages puzzling on mine when it fired with easy start spray but then died. Turned out my vacuum and fuel pipes were connected wrong on the fuel tap.
    If fuel comes out of the hose when you crank the engine then the fuel system is good and its time to clean the carb especially the float parts and jets.