Tuning aprilia sr 172 AC help/advice?

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Coxy, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Aprilia sr 172 not MHR just malossi, 25 dellorto carb big pm air filter, 120 jet, pm52 exhaust, pm tuning variator and black spring that came with it, 12 gram rollers, standard gearbox and crank and cdi, does 80mph on clocks 75mph clocked by a car, its my first 172 and when i had it it was standard, i bulit this mself and was wondering if theres any other go faster stuff? want it reliable but bit faster, gear up kit which ratio would i buy? and any1 know the standard ratios? any help much apprechiated!!!!!

2. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Anyone. ?? Even a good fast setup ??

3. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ditch the pm52... there shit./.. jet is too big (go for a 106 ina 25 dell on an ac... 108 max really) all the gear ratios are in the HAYNES MANUAL (that thing nobody seems to buy anymore) 180 gears give around 10mph (imput shaft has an extra tooth) malossi secondary on 125 gearset gives around 20-30 (if your engine will pull it, wich it wont) better off with a std pipe than a 52... can squeeze a 55/59 on there... or have a decent pipe made for less than a new pm!!!! the 52 is a depressing peice of shit

4. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    See you say pm52 aren't good but pm say the pm 52 is just as good as the pm55 and the pm59 is higher revving? And my plug is white anything below 112, 120 still don't seem great, just can't seem to set it up properly, and the majority of my mates who ride 172 run 110s on liquid cooled runners? If can find a cheap 55 or 59 will consider changing but what differenece will it make? And as for gear up whick ratio? I've seen 15/41 and 15/39 secondary

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    the 15/41 will be less of a jump than the 15/39... its marginal tho.. go for the 15/39... and who told you the 52 was as good as a 55? if that was the case they wouldnt sell the 55.... there DIRE. stock pipe work better...

jet is wrong, if it wont handle anything below that the needles set wrong/is the wrong needle... as for 110's in 25 carbs... if 50 of your frioends were gay, would you go stick your cock in a man? answers no... people doing it dont make it right.. ive set hundreads of these up... bearly use a 115 in a 28/30mm carb let alone a 25.. ac 106 is usually about right, lil more with a pipe so 108.chances are your rollers could be wrong (common) and it feells like its jetting, when it really isnt, even tho throwing a big ass jet will cure the symptom, its far from right.

if you cant set it up, maybe pay someone an hours work to get it done right for you... befor you blow it up? the guides are pretty clear/simple to follow.

get the exact spec (roller weight, needle type/position/pilot jet) and i can advise further.. check theres no air leeks in the inlet/reedblock too...or broken vac pipes.. this will cause the jetting to run v lean meaning a bigger jet is needed..

6. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Cheers for the info mate, and no air leaks as I can see replaced pipes manifold, and I have got a big open filter whether that adjusts jetting a lot? And I have a 50 pilot in ( was 70 when had it) aq266 atomizer, d24 needle 2nd clip from top, and 120 main, 60 choke, and alrite ill go for the 15/39 and nobody by me got dyno so. And as for rollers should I put standard spring back in? I think the pm one I had was slightly shorter and softer?

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    fuck sake LOOOOOOL ye stock spring, dump 12.5's in there... correct carb wise, except the main jet/needle position, how your not eating plugs i dont know/.... needle top notch (so the needle sits as low as possible) and a 108 jet at most... if it "bogs" its coz your rollers are too heavy, probably 14's in there or something.. clutch STOCK. pilot is about right, is it a 40 slide or a 30? (says on the bottom, check when you ajust the needle)

as for setting it up, i set up bikes without a dyno/set most things by ear and feel BEFOR they go on a dyno, and rarely change anything, maybe a trim on the jet or slight roller change, but usually dont need it. dyno's are for people who really cant read/listen to an engine, there handy to have.. but not essential, especially for setting a bike up. most dyno opperaters set idle mix and full throttle, an completly ignore part throttle riding. no good atall...

just need someone with a reputation/who actually knows what there doing with an auto.

8. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    40 slide, and thanks for info mate much apprechiated

9. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    np, thought it would be a 40... its a box set malossi carb.. not one someone else has ajusted correctly.. so the above should be PERFECT for your bike, if not something else is at fault.

10. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Right had engine completely out today, had to tighten mount as was nightmare to do whilst in bike, so while I was at it looks in barrel piston looked fine nothing wrong with it :) everythings sealed properly, cleaned carb and sealed reedblock and maifold, left setup for now as want a plug chop it, put a new plug in it now, engines back in just needs panels back on which ill do tommorow, 50 pilot 40 slide, aq266, 120 main d24 needle second from top, instead of just dropping jet by 10, shall I work down in 4 sizes a time? Also will the 180 gbox fit my engine with the rolling nut case and the bearing clutch rear pulley? Thanks!!

11. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if the engine is the same type then it will fit (so roling nut in rolling nut, non roller in non roller) drop the needle down... and check the rollers. just as important

12. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    The weight of the rollers are 12 gram, I have some 12.5s somewhere and 15.5s which came with variator, and lean needle or richen?

13. Coxy

Coxy New Member

Rides:
    Aprilia Sr 172
    Also, due to my engine not being very revvy as it only has bolt on parts, will roller weight need to be lighter to pull the gear up

14. bashyy21

bashyy21 Beaut!

thanks minor very helpful.

15. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    What Minor say's is quite correct as far as I'm concerned, as for rollers it's a case of what work's for your weight/engine set up etc. Imagine riding a geared bike and slipping the clutch, you could rev it to 10,000rpm ease the clutch out and off you go, or rev it to 6,000 ease the clutch out without it bogging down and your've 4,000 rpm left to play with. Every engine has a "power band" of rev's that the engine work's best at eg, 6000 to 9000 rpm, so you need the rollers biting at 6100rpm making the most of the "power band" no point in having rollers to light making the engine rev to 7000 rpm before it start's to do anything as your've lost 1000 rpm just revving doing nothing. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say . That's how I see things and the way I personally set up an engine, I am of course no expert but my engines seem to work quite well! My best engine,(183cc runner) shed tuned made 23hp on a rolling road in Batley with no alterations as it was set up just right for me. Probably best listen to Minor for good tech info.