Transmission squealing

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by wobbly_trials, Nov 23, 2006.

1. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    Got my SR on the road today, took it out for a "shakedown" run and all was fine, taken it out again this afternoon and when its cold there is a squealing from the transmission case. i assume this is clutch or belt, i will clean the clutch and replace the belt tomorrow.

anyone else had this problem?

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    might need a bit of grease on the variator shaft or the torque driver pin/centre

3. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah good thinkin, it's not affecting acceleration or top speed just pissing me off squealing, its like a car when a belt is going.

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ye m8, sounds like the problem... could just be the belt tho ether way grease isnt exactly expensive..

5. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    no, i got a pot of standard grease and a pot of copper grease with one of the SRs, good timing too as i'd run out.

6. abz

abz Member

iv had 2 sr125 both made the squealing noises my dealer told me its normal for them

7. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    my other one and both tweaks SRs don't squeal. its just really annoying more than anything.

8. TangoSR

TangoSR New Member

Mine has only squeeled since the 172 was fitted, only does it on pull off from cold, after about 2 mins it stops, its just the belt slipping abit till it warms up....might need a stiffer contra spring ;)

9. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    Ok, thaks very much, i will look into it at some stage. so long as it lasts the winter i'm not too fussed. its just a bit of an embarrassing noise. its like HAAAAA, your scooter squeels. (would be ok if it was the tyres)

10. TangoSR

TangoSR New Member

:confused:hock: :emb: Embarrassing aint the word lol....Im so glad for the full face helmet so peeps can't see me blush :mrgreen: you could always tell em its the turbo kicking in hahahahahha :w00t:

11. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    turbo :w00t: i need on of them

12. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    Unfortunately everyone around here knows my helmet now, it's the only Rossi 7th title edition in the area.

on a better note, it does ensure i warm the bike up properly before riding.

Edit: sounds more like i've got a mouse going round my transmission case to me.

13. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    maybe the squeak is the engine mountings. they may lose the lubrication on the mountings.

i know this is a problem with runners wd40 soon sorts it.

could also be the belt though both things do it :cool:

14. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    No, its deffiantely transmission, had the engine out about 50 miles ago and greased all the engine mounts and engine bolts.

15. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    I have been building up my area-51 motor taday as the crank finally arrived.

got on my sr and the noise has dissapeared. its pretty ominous to be honest. will investigate when i get chance.